Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Early season bucks

J

jason

I was wondering what are all or your guy's early season tatics for bucks. I know right now there focused on food, and making rubs here and there to get rid of their velvet. But it seemes a week or alittle later after season starts, they'll start making scrapes.
If it's warm, I thought about hunting by a small pound on an edge of a funnle. Or just hunting edges of fields and close to white oak trees. I've been out scouting once, but didn't see much deer sign. So I'm going out again this week. Hopefully to see some buck activity!
Thanks and good huntin!

Jason

I think early season can be a difficult time to hunt big bucks. I usually watch for food patterns early. Last year I took a good buck, I think it was October 8th, on an alfalfa field the deer were really hitting.

If water is limited, hunting a good, secluded water source has definite potential. So far it is looking quite dry in my area so it might be worth looking into this year.

White oak acorns are a favorite food sorce when available. I'd check any good white oak stands. Use binoculars to see how many acorns the tree is still carrying. Unfortunately in my area they are often cleaned up by opening day.

I usually try not to get too excited about hunting scrape and rub lines until October 20th or so. If we get cool weather the last week of October it can be a great time to catch a big buck on a predicable pattern.

Good Hunting!

Jason,

Sound wisdom from "Old Buck", thanks for his input.

Here is a good little article we posted a few weeks past in IowaGameAndFish.

Good Hunting!

I like to hunt those inside corners of fields that you have to hike aways to get in.
If the crops are rotated on the two halves of the field, I like to hunt those edges and points where the beans meet the corn, it seems they often develop travel patterns by using the corn as cover to pop out and dine on beans. It doesn't last long, but can be fun, especially in a late harvest year.
Also if you can find a little 5-10 acre plot a farmer carved out on top of a timbered hill, the deer and turkeys alike will usually hammer that spot and it will last after crops are long gone. Just a few observations. Good Luck...

Top Bottom