Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Early Spring Pike

bushman

For all you pike fisherman out there, what are you favorite tactics for early spring pike?

Heading to Ontario in a few weeks (hopefully the ice will be off). We ussually throw small cranks in the shallows. Sometimes jig with plastics or if i'm in a beer drinking mood bobber and dead sucker minnows. What about you guys? Saskguy?

Re: Early Sprin Pike

This has been such a slow spring that I'm thinking we'll be dodging ice flows on the 3rd weekend of May. I've had my most success with getting into big black bottom shallow bays where the big girls catch some warmer water. We chuck big suspending cranks that we can retrieve slowly as they are usally not overly active. Big deadbaits under bobbers are a back up plan if they just don't want to move to eat something.

I'm oober excited for what is usually my best weekend of the year, May Long.

I can't wait. We aer heading up May 15th if the ice is out. Hopefully it's clear by then. Water temps in the mid 50's seem to produce the best for us.

Bays with streams or running water coming in a great too. This time of year the suckers are ussually stacked up in there and those big girls are just hanging out eating.

Husky jerk raps in some of the neon colors work great. The 3 hook models with the holographic colors and rattles are deadly but nothing beats the old dead sucker minnow.

Slow snap'n SLUG O'S.... whit and silver or gray and white... They won't stay off it!.......... If you really are having a hard time, free spool 12-14" suckers over patches where cabage has started growing... or will be growing....careful where u get your chubs from tho. They can die in a blink of an eye, transporting them can be skechy from cold water tanks to the real world!...... remember, big circle hook, leader, no weight! and 20-40lb. line..... GAME ON!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Typical250</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Slow snap'n SLUG O'S.... whit and silver or gray and white... They won't stay off it!.......... If you really are having a hard time, free spool 12-14" suckers over patches where cabage has started growing... or will be growing....careful where u get your chubs from tho. They can die in a blink of an eye, transporting them can be skechy from cold water tanks to the real world!...... remember, big circle hook, leader, no weight! and 20-40lb. line..... GAME ON! </div></div>

Great advice!

Im not much of a bait fan, i like lures.....

if the water is unpressured use spoons, its hard to mess up the retrieve on a spoon and it is tons of fun to use! not to mention you can cast them a friggen mile!

i use lots of bucktails and original floaters by Rapala. big Mepps, Daredevils and minnow baits are a good call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> not to mention you can cast them a friggen mile!

</div></div>

I think that's my favorite part of tossin lures - "just how far across this lake can I chuck this bad boy!" whether it's in the direction of the fish or not I just love to see it "smack" way out in the middle. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shoot2Kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> not to mention you can cast them a friggen mile!

</div></div>

I think that's my favorite part of tossin lures - "just how far across this lake can I chuck this bad boy!" whether it's in the direction of the fish or not I just love to see it "smack" way out in the middle. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif</div></div>

You're easliy ammused.

I'd say dead smelt this time of year with the water temp being colder, and if they're active you can't go wrong with a bucktail!
Have fun, and good luck.

Top Bottom