Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Eastern Gama Grass

letemgrow

PMA Member
Who has had success planting Eastern Gama Grass?????? If so how did you do it??????? I am looking for something that is long term, wildlife friendly and cattle friendly. This stuff can produce up to 8 tons of hay per acre per year!!!!!! Cattle love it also so I was looking to use it for dual purpose. Cattle and wildlife.

Here is a pic of it's regrowth capabilities.

regrow2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Who has had success planting Eastern Gama Grass?????? If so how did you do it??????? I am looking for something that is long term, wildlife friendly and cattle friendly. This stuff can produce up to 8 tons of hay per acre per year!!!!!! Cattle love it also so I was looking to use it for dual purpose. Cattle and wildlife.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always wanted to try it but never have. It's like corn...it loves/craves nitrogen and most people plant it with a corn planter.

Pretty much the same herbicide as corn also so it's expensive and more difficult to maintain then corn.

Neat stuff though
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I always wanted to try it but never have. It's like corn...it loves/craves nitrogen and most people plant it with a corn planter.

Pretty much the same herbicide as corn also so it's expensive and more difficult to maintain then corn.

Neat stuff though
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have some growing wild on the property and that sparked my interest to learn more about it. I had read about fall planting dormant seed, spring planting stratified seed etc. Just wondering if anyone has had personal experience with this grass. Thanks for the info DT.

Here is a pic of some I have already.
277phils_pics_010-med.jpg

Top Bottom