Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Easterns and Merriams

Thinkin Rut

PMA Member
Maybe a turkey pro can answer this one.

Where the Eastern and Merriam ranges meet, do they keep to themselves or is there some cross-breeding between the subspecies?

I have a vision of a Leoss Hills Merriam.
wink.gif

The NWTF has a map that shows the boundaries of each of the subspecies of turkey. I hunted Rosebud and Pine Ridge Reservations in 97 going for my Grand Slam. We shot true Merriams and a gobbler that had Rio colors out of the same group of turkeys. You will find the farther west you go in S.D. is where you will find true Merriams. Hunted near Valentine, Ne. 3 years ago and found some beautiful Merriams there. The same is true for Osceola turkeys. You have to hunt south Florida for a Osceola. It's quite easy to know a real Osceola as the barring on the primary wing feathers makes the wings almost black as the white barring does not go clear to the quill.

Turkeys crossbreed and or cohabit wide areas of states.

Allamakee Grand Slam

There are indeed Merriam/Eastern hybrids in the Loess Hills. Last season I shot one that was most certainly a hybrid. The tips of all of the bigger feathers were very, very light and the smaller feathers were buff-colored in the fan....it is pretty neat. Merriams were stocked on the Nebraska side of the river not far from where we hunt so we know there has been some cross-breeding (and river-jumping!). We saw a tom fanned out last year with almost white tips on his fan...it was in stark contrast to the obvious Eastern tom with them...and my buddies and I freaked out with the excitement of possibly shooting a merriam in Iowa. Although it may sound far-fetched to shoot a Merriam in Iowa...I wouldn't rule it out.

Top Bottom