Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Effie Boggess response Re: SF 18

blake

Life Member
The following is a copy of the email that I sent to Representative Boggess. Please read her repsonse at the bottom. Don't think she got the message!

Dear Representative Boggess,

As a politically active resident of Page County and an avid hunter/outdoor sports enthusiast, Senate file 18 appalls me, to say the least. I understand that the State of Iowa has been experiencing an economic downturn as of the last few years, matching to some degree the recession of the entire nation. I also understand that it is your job as an elected official to try and turn our states economy around by reducing expenditures, and increasing revenues - by means of legislation. Senate file 18 would no doubt add revenue to the States coffers, just as a reduction in unnecessary spending and a leaner more efficient government
would serve the same purpose. I am of the opinion, as I am sure are thousands of other hunters/licensed voters, that this can be accomplished without putting the political stranglehold on our sport and treasured
pastime.

Dwindling are the days when a hunter might approach a local farm house and obtain permission to hunt the area, sealed with a handshake, some small talk and perhaps a small gift as a token of appreciation for the opportunity to celebrate the outdoors, and get a chance at a big buck. Big money non-resident hunters, with their deep pockets and eager willingness to pay exorbitant trespass & trophy fees to farmers, have hurt tax-paying resident hunters. Land that was once hunted from generation to generation, father to son/daughter, is now being posted due to an influx of non-residents. Each year we continue to see more and more "Leased Hunting" signs appearing as it is. This trend is quite alarming, needless to say, and bespeaks of an era
where the sport of hunting was reserved solely for the Rich and Landed class, the Kings and nobility. Senate File 18 would only serve to hasten this most unfortunate phenomenon, by increasing the competition to hunt on a fixed resource: land. We ought to be combating this trend, not fueling the fire. Simply put, increasing the number of non-resident deer and turkey tags in the State of Iowa would surely spell disaster for the middle to
lower class, hard working resident hunters.

If the goal is to increase revenue and reduce the deer population, might I suggest that we consider increasing the price of resident and non-resident deer tags (slightly), and offer more doe tags and/or special
doe seasons to resident hunters, and resident hunters only. I am willing to bet that resident hunters, myself included, would be willing to pick up some of the slack and pay a few extra dollars for their tags, in
order to protect their hunting privileges from non-residents with big bank rolls. All that we ask, as law abiding hunters, conservationists and registered voters, is that you carefully consider the consequences of such a
proposal.

Respectfully Yours,

Ronald L. Wyllie
Page County Resident

Her response:

I made a request to DNR to see just how liberal we are now for resident deer hunting licenses and I am forwarding you the reply. I think that resident deer hunting is pretty much saturated, most hunters would not use more licenses than are now available. All of these hunting seasons are over and we still have huge numbers of deer all throughout this area. I have not researched the bill you mentioned, so am not sure what it would do. However, I firmly support a greater number of out of state permits. Probably more so this week, since my husband hit one with a car last weekend. An expensive trip, to say the least.

If you have suggestions for reducing the deer population, please let me know. I hear constantly from hunters, farmers, and drivers that we are greatly over populated. It is especially a problem for those who drive to work early in the morning, or return home at dusk.
Effie Boggess

confused.gif

I think that her take on resident hunting being saturated is wrong and I have a VERY hard time believing resident hunting is saturated! I recall checking a page on the Iowa DNR website which showed the sales of antlerless deer tags per county. Almost every county in the state had SOLD OUT their allotted antlerless tags. If I remember correctly the only (few) counties which had doe tags left were areas with poor deer herds.

Every hunter I know was happy when the DNR finally started issuing more tags, even though they are specifically antlerless tags. More tags = more time in the timber, what else can I say. Give em to me I'll buy em and use em!

I e-mailed a letter to all members of the Senate Natural Resource Committee last week concerning my dissapproval of SF 18. I have only had a response from Senator Black thus far. He is in opposition of SF 18. I hope that others who feel strongly against the increase are also communicating.

Dear Ms Boggess,

Thank you for your response to my recent Email to you re: this bill.

I agree that we have too many doe whitetail deer in the State of Iowa. They are a problem with crop damage, garden damage, and motor vehicle accidents. I also believe according to the DNR that almost all of the late season special doe tags were sold in the state this season. So perhaps you may wish to consider increasing the doe tags for special season for resident hunters to help reduce the herd population.

You asked for my suggestions, so here are a couple. I believe there is a pending bill HF 40 which provides for issuing 200 doe tags to state institutions. I believe that we as hunters in the State of Iowa would support this bill and help fill those allotted tags to assist in easing the food bill for the institutions. But perhaps you should amend that bill, to include homeless shelters, battered women shelters and programs to assist the needy in the cities and local communities. Or perhaps open the city limits of many of the metroploitain areas to bowhunters, instead of having then slaughter by sharp shots with high power rifles which was when I last read the hunting regulations illegal in this state.

I would invite you to take the time to go to www.iowawhitetail.com and read what the 1000+ Iowa members on this site are saying re: SF 18.

Thank You Again,
Ronald L. Wyllie
Page County Resident

Top Bottom