Elevated Stand Windows

bowhuntr311

IowaWhitetail Addict
Alright.

So Im building a 4ftx4ft enclosed stand for my girlfriend for firearms season and I may possibly use it for our late muzzleloader season.

I am all the way down to windows at this point. I have the base/floor/walls built. I need to frame in my windows and now Im wondering how big.

Side to side isnt a big deal. But I need to know what you guys think about height of windows. This is a firearms stands and we will be using scopes. Im going 40in to the bottom of the window and the back wall is going to be 5ft tall; I want my window heights to be the same. So I was drew out 40in then 12in on top that. 12in looks reasonable, but I was thinking maybe bigger 14, 16, 18?

What do you think? How tall should the windows be? Would you paint the inside of the stand black or another real dark color?

Dean

I have some that are either 8" or 10", and they are plenty for guns. Bigger windows just make it harder to hide inside, IMO.

We built an elevated blind last summer near our food plots, and each of the 4 sides has a window 1 foot high and 2 feet wide. This is probably a bit wider than would be needed, but I wouldn't want any less height. The blind is also 8 foot square (could have a poker party in this thing), so the wider windows help reduce blind spots in the corners.

We did not paint the inside, and it seems to be fine. We've killed several deer and turkey from it already, and don't know of anyone whose been spotted inside. One key is to not keep any more windows open than are necesary.

NWBuck

Back