Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Elk in Iowa

The elk that was posted in a few of the above posts I had pictures of on a farm near Mystic and a farm near Albia it was the same Bull for sure. our Monroe county Game warden said it was shot east of Albia trying to get INTO an elk pen.

Attachments

• 35CC93FF-B80C-4032-98A0-593AF56B614D.jpeg
    35CC93FF-B80C-4032-98A0-593AF56B614D.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 29
The elk that was posted in a few of the above posts I had pictures of on a farm near Mystic and a farm near Albia it was the same Bull for sure. our Monroe county Game warden said it was shot east of Albia trying to get INTO an elk pen.
So, "shot" already, huh? I was not aware of that. As a protected species, what transpired in terms of that apparent violation? Just curious. Just thinking out loud here...if it was an escapee, and therefore someone's personal property, and tries to get back in...can the owner shoot him without penalty? Hmmm...

It was a strange deal we first got pictures in mid Oct near Mystic then we had him in early Nov near the Albia Airport. Then in mid/late Nov we had him back at Mystic. This was 16 miles straight line distance. I am sure you can shoot Elk if they are your property same as a Whack-A-Pet hunting preserve. My guess is the elk owners don’t want to admit when one gets away for liability. In this instance the elk farmer owner was in contact with the game warden and told to shoot the Bull

It was a strange deal we first got pictures in mid Oct near Mystic then we had him in early Nov near the Albia Airport. Then in mid/late Nov we had him back at Mystic. This was 16 miles straight line distance. I am sure you can shoot Elk if they are your property same as a Whack-A-Pet hunting preserve. My guess is the elk owners don’t want to admit when one gets away for liability. In this instance the elk farmer owner was in contact with the game warden and told to shoot the Bull
CO told me I could not shoot elk on my farm. Maybe if it was confirmed escapee they would say differently?

CO told me I could not shoot elk on my farm. Maybe if it was confirmed escapee they would say differently?
I don't know any details on this elk case, but I have definitely had experience with different DNR employees giving totally contradictory direction when questioned on a subject. FWIW. So the difference could be simply related to that phenomenon.

Meanwhile, not elk and not related to the above, but some sort of exotic deer once upon a time... A number of years ago there were 3 high fenced deer that got out near one of my friends place. Not only was my friend notified about it by the DNR, the CO totally authorized him, or anyone, to take these beasts out...by any means necessary. (High power, spot lighting, etc.) I remember my friend getting geeked out about getting one of these things. :) In fact, at least one DNR guy was trying to do the same. I do remember that they got all 3 killed in fairly short order, but I had no participation in any of the pursuit, so I am hazy on details from 20+ years ago now.

But whatever concern was at the base of it, there was heavy interest in getting these escapees killed ASAP. So maybe the answer is..."it depends".

Top Bottom