Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Encore .50 cal

DLO

Just a note on the Encore...

I did alot of research, both on the internet and on the bench and want to share the set-up that I'm using with my Encore. I've had incredible results, namely .475" groups at 100 and 1.65" groups at 200 yards. Here's the set-up:

Encore 209x50
Leupold 3/9x40 VX-I
110gr 777 FFG powder....NOT PELLETS!
200gr Dead Center Bullets, Sabots ( from Precision Rifle)
22 Hornet conversion breach plug ( from Precision Rifle)
CCI 400 small rifle primers.

I use no lube what so ever. Simply run a spit patch down the bore after every shot, followed by two dry patches, reload and shoot! You can keep that up all day without your bore fouling. I was under the impression that Bore Butter or equivilant was needed, not if you are shooting sabots.

As most of you know, a clean, cold barrel usually won't print in the group shot with a "dirty" bore. Cleaning the bore with spit patch, as mentioned above, allows you to maintain your group size, including the shot fired from a clean, cold barrel.

I mentioned the breech plug I'm using, its a conversion made to accept 22 Hornet brass. A CCI 400 Small Rifle Primer is loaded in the brass prior to shooting. Encores come with a plug that accepts 209 Shotgun Primers. The 209 causes breech plug fouling, fires at inconsistant pressures and if you shoot enough of them, retards the forward movement of the firing pin due to fouling of the firing pin hole in the reciever. The 22 Hornet Conversion fixes all those problems, along with generating consistant muzzle velocities.

If you're an Encore owner, give it a shot, I think you'll be happy with the results. DLO

Top Bottom