Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Equipment Recomendations ???

N9BOW

I was hoping that I could get some recommended must haves for managing ground for game. I have a WD45, a brush hog, a backpack sprayer for spot spraying. What would you recommend I add/purchase for managing 20 acres? the rest of our ground is timber. Should I buy a cultipacker, disks, etc for the tractor or just rent a drill to plant every year? Or should I look at buying a used drill? your thoughts and musings about what tools someone should have for serious quality game managent.

Thanks in advance
N9BOW

When I sold our line of farm equipment last spring, I kept the IH560 w/ front end loader, the disc and a two bottom plow. I figured I wouldn't get anything for the small disc or plow. The disc will be handy for firebreaks and smoothing out small ruts. I've used the plow to grub out invasive brush that was creeping out of fence lines.

You have a mower, but might want to consider a sickle bar mower as well. It was nice to hang it off to the side where you didn't want to drive the tractor or couldn't drive the tractor. I would mow fire breaks with it, then use a hay rake to wind row the cut grass into the area to be burned. Sure made burning easier! If you get a sickle bar mower, I'd look for a trailer type. The one that came with my tractor bolted to the draw bar assembly and was a real pain to put on and take off.

Used grain drills can be had cheap, but usually the seed rate is guess work. You can do about as good using a broadcast spreader over lightly disked ground. Most of the old grain drills require a prepared seed bed (maybe plowed, definitely disced). A no-till grain drill is going to be expensive and you might be better off renting. I rented one from a implement dealership once to seed alfalfa and there was a flat fee + an acre charge. Not sure if a WD45 is going to pull the average equipment a dealership is likely to rent these days.

You might look to hire a neighbor to custom drill. ISU has the current rates for custom farm work. Hopefully your neighbor is nice and is willing to mess with just an acre or two.

[ QUOTE ]
just rent a drill

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can rent a no-till drill from your local county conservation board that would be the best route.

A no-till drill will plant just about anything and eliminate the need for a lot of equipment.

A cultipacker is a big plus but you need either a tiller or disc before it's of any value.

Disc is cheaper of course but limited and can take a while to till up ground.

A tiller and packer is the best combo IMO but can set you back a few coins.

Check with Gary Delarm, he lives west of Maquoketa on Caves road. He has a bunch of old stuff laying around. Last time I was by there he had a few old discs. And he probabley has old drills, cultipackers, maybe an old endgate seeder. Drive by there and check it out. wouldn't hurt to have a little Busch Light on hand if you go up there, might get you a better deal.
grin.gif

Thanks,
I go right by there frequently. I have been thinking about stopping in. Maybe this weekend.

N9BOW

Looks like you have a good start.
There is nothing you can't plant with a sprayer and a disc. The mower is a definate plus.

My vote would be a 6' KK disc. If it comes to it, you can broadcast corn and/or beans then lightly disc or drag (a metal gate works in a pinch)

Fan of the Orange, Jody

If your going to be doing pretty small plots I would definately look at a tiller, they make an awesome seed bed in one pass and are perfect for small spaces. I'd want a backpack and/or an ATV sprayer, and you probably want to add a chainsaw to the general list.

Top Bottom