Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Establishing fire breaks

muddy

We need to get some areas burnt next spring and I have absolutely no idea how to start establishing safe fire breaks. Both CRP and timber needs burnt, bimut gotta keep it into smaller areas as I'm limited on man power to keep an eye on things.

I have burned 70-80 acres in a day by myself...but that came after a lot prep and planning. Manpower is great, but prep is better.

Do you have a mower? A tiller? If so, mow some fire breaks this fall, then till a portion of them next spring prior to burning.

In the timber...a leaf blower can work, a lawn mower can work too.

CRP... mow the breaks really short this fall. They will green up fast and first in spring. That is enough usually. If not, you can till them (I would still mow this fall).

Timber is much easier. Leaf blowers.

Typically disc to be safe, although I don't have as much experience as a few on here.

Rule of thumb I often hear, make them twice as wide as the field is tall.

Good luck!

I have zero experience burning but I burnt 1/3 acre Saturday to create a new alfalfa plot this fall (cross my fingers). I used my 6’ rototiller to surround the area I wanted to burn and it worked perfect. I seriously fear losing control of a fire.

Top Bottom