Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fall Plots Planted

WIHUNTER

Put in three fall plots today. One in Biologic winter bulbs and sugar beets, another in Whitetail Institute tall tine tubers. While planting I also added clover and chicory into the mix for the spring. Anyone else try this and how did it turn out?

Put in three fall plots today. One in Biologic winter bulbs and sugar beets, another in Whitetail Institute tall tine tubers. While planting I also added clover and chicory into the mix for the spring. Anyone else try this and how did it turn out?

Mixing clover with brassicas usually doesn't work very well because the brassicas will canopy and shade out the clovers. I've spent quite a bit of time testing this and unless the brassicas get heavily grazed to remove canopy...it doesn't work well.

Far better to establish clovers with winter rye in late August and turn under the dead brassicas in the spring and plant oats and an annual clover like berseem or crimson clover.

Take a look thru the brassica and cereal grain threads in Dbltree's Corner for more on using the correct crop rotations and compatible crop types.

Dbltree's Corner

Let us know how your planting works out this fall...:)

Never had any clovers come up in a brassica mix that included clovers....the brassicas shaded them out big time.

Top Bottom