Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Farm pond and the NRCS??

Critter

Life Member
Anyone have any experience building a farm pond through the NRCS? Sounds like you need to have it designated as livestock use to get any cost share from the state??

My experience is very limited, but I checked with the Davis County NRCS a few years ago and they had a "list" going and each person was given points based upon criteria that I do not fully recall at this time, but watering livestock was one of them.

They have a finite pool of cost share dollars every year and he pretty much told me that I could sign up and so forth, but since I was shooting for a recreation only pond I would likely never ascend on the list to a point where I would be selected.

I figure if I want to build a bigger pond it will be on my nickel.

The NRCS didn't approve of our first pond site (not enough watershed in their opinion) so we footed 100% of the costs.

For most programs you are supposed to EXCLUDE livestock from actually being able to wade in the water. They suggest a water hydrant behind the dam of the pond for livestock watering purposes (which we had installed).

The NRCS liked the cattails in a swampy valley in the second site, so we got 95% cost share for the installation of a wetlands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Critter, if I had your money, I'd burn mine /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif . </div></div>

Whatever........A visit to a buddy of mines property really got me thinking about how nice it would be to have a pond for the family to play around in. Fish, swim, drink beer around, and more less just enjoy. I'm not sure what kind of costs I'm looking at, but it never hurts to find out. I do know they offer a low interest (3%) loan ammortized over 10 years.......definately something to look into.

They're usually cheaper than a new truck and last longer. Go for it. Your right its nice to have your own to do with whatever you want. Also for whatever reason the deer were coming every morning last week and eating the darn moss. Just not enough. One was an older buck. They would stay for about 20 minutes.

had a bald eagle and an osprey fishing in my pond today as I get a pad ready for a new pole building.

it attracts all kinds of wildlife.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A visit to a buddy of mines property really got me thinking about how nice it would be to have a pond for the family to play around in. Fish, swim, drink beer around, and more less just enjoy. </div></div>

Seems like it would be cheaper just to hang out at your buddies place... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Since we are on this subject...

I was in the Davis Co. NRCS office a few weeks ago and a fellow got the news that his pond funding would be delayed while they checked for "endangered bats" (they had a name but I was to busy snickering /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif )

He was completely taken aback and thought they were joking but they said they would have to hold up construction until it was "surveyed" for this species and blah blah blah.

So even if you get the funding....you just never know, a buddies place might be the best bet, especially if he happens to have a real nice dock to fish and drink beer on... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A visit to a buddy of mines property really got me thinking about how nice it would be to have a pond for the family to play around in. Fish, swim, drink beer around, and more less just enjoy. </div></div>

Seems like it would be cheaper just to hang out at your buddies place... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Since we are on this subject...

I was in the Davis Co. NRCS office a few weeks ago and a fellow got the news that his pond funding would be delayed while they checked for "endangered bats" (they had a name but I was to busy snickering /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif )

He was completely taken aback and thought they were joking but they said they would have to hold up construction until it was "surveyed" for this species and blah blah blah.

So even if you get the funding....you just never know, a buddies place might be the best bet, especially if he happens to have a real nice dock to fish and drink beer on... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

I wonder if this friend of yours has a bunch of shagbark hickories that need to be removed in order for his pond to get built. There's a certain bat (Indiana maybe??) that nests under the bark, and there are certain agencies somewhat concerned about its habitat decline. Not sure if the two are related at all, but it's possible.

Yup probably Indiana bats. They held up a highway job last spring. The DNR sent somebody down with a ballbat to check the trees. Then gave the OK.

I thought this Indiana bat thing was friends kidding firends BS until I looked it up. But I didn't see where they nest in shag barks.

Tiny little boogers.

The 'Bonker

Some water sheds the NRCS pays 100% of structures . Usually its 50 to 60 % . If a water line for cattle is run through the dam the whole pond is to be fenced. If no water line goes through the dam then just the dam is to be fenced. Some countys are diff. regs. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom