Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

FBN Poloma Beans?

Has anyone used the Farmers Business Network Paloma Beans in thier food plots?
I haven’t heard anything about those. What’s the scoop? I’ll go do a bit of digging a sec ….

K- quick glance, E3 beans. Which allows for GLY, enlist 2,4-d & glufosinate (liberty) - I’ve run e3 since they came out. The herbicide options are amazing!!!! Game changer. Still need to pick the “right hybrid” for deer preference (I can explain more if needed). I don’t know if anything else specific to “Paloma” if there’s other differences I didnt catch though ?

I’d be interested in any variety that is the most shatter resistant. Had a decent stand last fall. Went down one warm day after a hard freeze the night before and you could hear the pods popping and beans being thrown everywhere… Way before I had planned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d be interested in any variety that is the most shatter resistant. Had a decent stand last fall. Went down one warm day after a hard freeze the night before and you could hear the pods popping and beans being thrown everywhere… Way before I had planned!

I've asked an FBN sales representative that exact question, and was told that FBN doesn't follow shatter characteristics in thier soybean varieties, so yeah, that's a concern for sure.

Def E3 beans out there that deer dont really like. I'd like to figure out what is the "most desirable" variety of E3 bean to whitetails. Cuz the herbicide options those beans allow for can't be beat at the moment.

I haven’t heard anything about those. What’s the scoop? I’ll go do a bit of digging a sec ….

K- quick glance, E3 beans. Which allows for GLY, enlist 2,4-d & glufosinate (liberty) - I’ve run e3 since they came out. The herbicide options are amazing!!!! Game changer. Still need to pick the “right hybrid” for deer preference (I can explain more if needed). I don’t know if anything else specific to “Paloma” if there’s other differences I didnt catch though ?
Have used the 'free" beans thru Pheasant Forever, but they are treated, want to go away from treated seed, trying to promote soil biology and starting to see some neat things happening. Also have used Real World beans, but they dont offer untreated. FBN beans are free shipping (treated and non treated options) and a few east clicks away from the door, but don't hear much about them. So probably nothing out of the ordinary as far as Poloma goes.

Do you have a suggestion of a bean that you have used for plots that isn't prone to shatter?

Def E3 beans out there that deer dont really like. I'd like to figure out what is the "most desirable" variety of E3 bean to whitetails. Cuz the herbicide options those beans allow for can't be beat at the moment.
Untreated pioneer variety I use is fantastic. I’ll have to dig up the #.
U can see beans where some are brown, some are gray, etc etc. It’s wild how the preference for taste & the look of the bean can change so much by variety. I did strips to test & for sure varieties far more desired than others. All in the E3 category.
I personally haven’t had much issue at all with shatter problems. Hmmmm.

U can see beans where some are brown, some are gray, etc etc. It’s wild how the preference for taste & the look of the bean can change so much by variety. I did strips to test & for sure varieties far more desired than others. All in the E3 category.
2023 I planted untreated Pioneer 35T15E. Deer ate them pretty well until summer set in in February

Local Company called Phillips Seed. Variety I had such shatter problems were 361E3. Enlist variety. Not sure if there is commonality between companies at all.

Was that variety untreated?

If they were I'd really like to have the number, if you'd have time between fighting the evil bills on the hill.

Do you remember the maturity group for the beans that shattered?

Curious and reason for asking, I was talking to a Pioneer rep, and he mentioned that the longer maturity group will be a less prone to shatter, guess it stands to reason but that's something I hadn't considered before cause I'm a rookie on this stuff.

This is a fun topic I've just started digging into the last year or so. In my area most of the farmers are running 2.8/2.9s, and that is what I have always planted for bean plots as well. Just easy to get them through farmer buddy. Always e3 since they've come out.

Fall '22 was DRY. Beans were getting harvested early Sept., which is EARLY here. As Oct rolled around I started noticing in some of these shady corners with greenish beans still loaded with deer so I got to thinking on it. Soon realized this wasn't a new idea, but planted a few different maturities this past spring '23. 3.7s were the latest and was really impressed. Bigger, more pods, green into early Oct, and handled the dry spring way better than the earlier maturities. Not sure on the drought tolerance science but there was an obvious side by side difference. Seems like they shattered less too.

I am planting exclusively 3.7s this spring, as well as a few acres of the Real world beans along side. Never planted them before but secretly hope there's no attraction difference, man are they pricey!

• Deleted by fergyr
Show…
This is a fun topic I've just started digging into the last year or so. In my area most of the farmers are running 2.8/2.9s, and that is what I have always planted for bean plots as well. Just easy to get them through farmer buddy. Always e3 since they've come out.

Fall '22 was DRY. Beans were getting harvested early Sept., which is EARLY here. As Oct rolled around I started noticing in some of these shady corners with greenish beans still loaded with deer so I got to thinking on it. Soon realized this wasn't a new idea, but planted a few different maturities this past spring '23. 3.7s were the latest and was really impressed. Bigger, more pods, green into early Oct, and handled the dry spring way better than the earlier maturities. Not sure on the drought tolerance science but there was an obvious side by side difference. Seems like they shattered less too.

I am planting exclusively 3.7s this spring, as well as a few acres of the Real world beans along side. Never planted them before but secretly hope there's no attraction difference, man are they pricey!
I did Real World beans last year, and I noticed zero difference in pressure between them and my other beans. I was a sucker. Or- the extreme drought in my area they didnt care and just ate everything, not sure. But I am not paying the price for Real World this year

Top Bottom