Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Feeding hay

JEG

Anyone ever put out hay for deer during the winter? I put out a 1/4 bale yesterday for the deer just to see if they would eat it. It's horse hay mainly grasses with some clover and alfalfa. My food plots [corn and beans] are pretty well gone so thought I would try the hay. I'm gonna pick up some ear corn for the birds and deer also. I have deer comming up to the house at night feeding on whatever they can find in the yard we have probably 12" of snow cover and ice under that so it's getting tuff out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone ever put out hay for deer during the winter? </div></div>

I've never fed it on purpose but I have had them devour several bales that fell off on the way to the cattle feed bunk. Alfalfa is like corn...expensive, but I'm sure the deer will be happy to take advantage of easy pickins' /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

My neighbor gets outs after the second cutting and gets a pickup load of PRIME alfalfa/clover square bales as soon as there kicked on to the ground, takes them home and raps them as tight as possible with tarps to keep sun and rain off of them.

He feeds 1/2 5 gallon pale of corn in many piles, and then about a 1/4 of GREEN hay. The deer of course eat the corn and apples up first, then they eat the hay. They hay looks just about like when he brings it home; I've looked at it a couple times and I dont see much for mold on its not a bad idea.

Dean

Dry 2nd cut alfalfa can be like candy. I feed bales in my yard, at $2 each it adds up but they like it. Scooped 2 freshies today in a field that were a result of some 2nd cut round bales left behind.

I've heard prices of $4 on up for good small square bales. Wonder what the price will be come March. Corn and beans up sharply today. Will there be any hay left in the country? I've heard rumors that good hay for horses in the Twin Cities goes for 8-9$ a bale.

Lexington, KY. Good horse hay in small squares is $8+ depending on how you want to buy it. Large loads less than a few bales at a time from the feed store. Will be in Iowa with truck next month, been thinking about bringing a GN trailer back.

It's really funny...sometimes I will put out the best 2nd cut alfalfa you can buy and they won't touch it.

Then, drive down the road to shed hunt and they are tearing the h-e-double L out of some crappy big bales of horse grass hay.

I guess it depends on what they are used to feeding on....

I got a buddy that can't pass up a Pizza place or a MacDonalds...

I personally can't stand the stuff.....

$3 - 6 dollars a bale in the summer when we had the DROUGHT !! Now could be PRICY !!

I had a farmer bale me big rounds of second cut. Baled it a little green, I find the deer like it better. To me, 20 bucks for a 1200 lb round of alfalfa is cheaper than my other options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a buddy that can't pass up a Pizza place or a MacDonalds.. </div></div>

I know its terrible for you, but man i love Pizza Hut and McFats.......

yum.....

I am pulling some of my grain next year and planting alfalfa, anybody know how much I might get per acre if I have somebody come in to cut/bale it??

Most guys around here charge 12.00 a bale to bale it custom with a minimum of so many bales. Right now, if you had some good alfalfa hay, you could easily get 85 dollars a bale for it. So if you have good alfafla, you can get 6 bales per acre. So just to the math after that (the bales per acre are from SW Iowa, so other parts of Iowa can and will grow better alfalfa).

Top Bottom