Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

fighting the cold

bjkpharmd

I'm rarely cold as I dress in layers and try to keep perspiration to a minimum. I am looking to replace/update some older insulated clothes- I don't know how the old insulation materials relate to new ones. I try to use a handwarmer in a muff so I can use either very light or no gloves. What do you use? Amount & type of material in your cold weather gear? Boots?

I like ins. clothes with holofil ins. instead of thinsilate. Ive got a two pc parka and bibs made by gamehide with holofil and they are extremely warm almost to warm sometimes.

Glomitt's are the only thing for my hands. They keep them warm, and for extreme cold put a hand warmer in them. They also allow me the best finger feel when it comes down to the moment of truth. Turtle necks are always warn. And never leave without my Cabela's w3 fleece pullover with wind stopper. It is fairly light weight and extremely warm, however it is hard to get on over some fleece type of materials. I always wear a cheap insulated pair of windbreaker pants from walmart. They are pretty warm and help keep the wind out. I layer too as I have no insulated camo's. My feet are the first to get cold. This year after Xmas I will be testing out a pair of Rocky Blizzard stalkers Pac boots. Hopefully they will be the ticket. Oh yeah and a good hooded turtle neck than you can wear over a hat and use the long turtle neck part as a facemask really helps too - for extreme cold and wind.

i'm a big fan of bootblankets. i have the arctic shield ones and if they work half as good as my big old bulky ones then i'm in business. sure they're bulky to carry in but when i can sit 2-3 hours longer a day it's worth it.

Start with a good hat or balaclava. Keeping the head warm will really help in the long run. I have a lot of cabelas gear for the layers. MTP polar weight long underwear. Polartec windpro fleece pants and vest. Light gloves with a cabelas windstopper hand muff, woolrich socks, windpro fleece neck gaiter. Outer garments, have something with thinsulate and gore tex or windstopper. I have the Browning Hydrofleece 4-1 parka and ins bibs and it is more than enough. Boots...Burly 1200 s 1 size too big. SOunds like a lot of gear but I can sit for long durations without the numbing effects of the cold. (also use the small air activated hand warmers helps a lot).

Start with good quality polypropalyne underwear, a turtle neck shirt, wool shirt and pants if possible, a neck gaiter pulled down over the turtle neck and a good polypropalyne facemask with 1 or even 2 good caps, of course with some good thinsulate & goretex outerwear and as shredder said oversized pac boots with a poly pro sock under your heavy sock, that should keep you good for a long sit even in below zero temps. BTW breathing through the facemask does help keep you warm longer. I know they make some special masks for cold weather, but this has worked well for me.
smile.gif

Two items I couldn't do without when it's cold:

#1- Cabela's Pac boots. When combined with a good pair of wool socks I do not believe it can get cold enough for my feet to get cold.

#2- As Shredder mentioned, a balaclava to keep head and neck heat in. Makes an unbelievable difference.

NWBuck

hand warmers the brand "my coal " they seem to get the warmest and i layer my clothes i like the fleece thermo underware and a neck garter and i can pretty much stay out all day

Yeah but... should I be looking at 100, 200 gram or what for insulated clothing? I figured boots of 800-1200 grams but I don't know how my old stuff translates into the newer weights of insulation.

Pharmer, my sons and I use a 600/800 gram thinsulate boot and the Artic Shield boot warmers. You then have the flexibility to take them off and cover some serious ground without getting tired from heavier boots. I use a 40 gram thinsulate wool gomits and hand warmers when need. I also carry, and encourage my sons to carry, a second pair of lighter leather gloves for when we are on the move. We layer for warmth but my outer layer is the same as Rutnstrutts, Gamehide hollowfill. Way to warm for any kind of moving around, I will often leave these at my treestand and still hunt with several very light layers. Something I've only just begun wearing are turtle necks as mentioned above and they add a great deal of comfort. Think about how you intend to hunt and decide if you need to be flexible or if you pretty much intend to stay put during your cold weather hunts. Everybody decides for different reason what they like best and I keep change my mind about thing.

Good shopping and Better hunting.

Ironwood your post gave me a good idea for a new Iowawhitetail shirt. How about a black turtleneck with iowawhitetail on the collar in small letters and down one of the sleeves in big letters ? It would serve dual purpose, you could hunt in it to stay warm and then wear it to church or out to dinner!
grin.gif
Onecam, whatta you think? I'll take two in large please!!!

Good idea Bobcat although I am more parcel to Mock turtlenecks. It would be nice to have more hunting wear by Iowawhitetail other than just the hat.

Sounds like something for our design experts to get to work on. These could be the uniform of the day for the Deer Classic. Chris are you out there, rudd, rack, limb, who are our design experts.
smash.gif

black, white, hunter orange, & camo stocking hats too!! Rack said he wanted one with a big puff ball on the top!!
jester.gif

Top Bottom