Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fighting the Crossbow!!!!!

N

Nick Habes

The New York Bowhunters are fighting the crossbow issue again and again. This is a common issue in many states but I can't remenber it being discussed here. Whats the take on the "xgun" in Iowa.

Im probably gonna catch some flack for this but here goes.A couple years ago I cut my thumb off at work about a week before bow season.They reattached it but I couldnt hunt with my bow.Having never really given much thought on crossbows before I borrowed one from a friend here and sighted it in, went hunting about the second week of season.

Heres my take on em.After having to use one, Id say most people who are so opposed to em have probably never really shot one.They dont have any greater range than a bow, as a matter of fact a 150 lb crossbow shooting a smaller arrow still drops faster than a 70 lb compound.After studying on this its because of the crossbow having a shorter string, I cant remember exactly what the research said but with a longer string pushing the arrow you get faster and flatter arrow flight.You yourself called it a xgun, thats far from the truth, you hear about being able to shoot 60 or 70 yrds with one, well suprise, you get guys doing that with compounds to.there will always be some people that try to shoot twice as far as they should, it aint the bows fault.

They are also noiser, awkward to carry, and shoot out of a tree, and wiegh a lot more.Next timeyou climb to your stand hold your bow sideways and try to swing it through the branches , it sucks.

On the other hand their main advantage is you dont have to draw them with a deer in sight, just pick it up and shoot.But if your 20 ft up a tree and need a second shot fast, you aint gonna get it.

Also i think given the chance theyd draw more people into the sport, old people, young people, women, could all shoot these.And the argument theyre not a primitive weapon doesnt hold water either, theyve been around several hundred years longer than the compound. Just my two cents worth, even if they were legal id never switch to one, but i dont feel that should keep anyone else from using one.

I saw an attachment advertised on The Outdoor Channel that goes on a compound bow. I've forgotten now what it is called, but it basically keeps your bow at full draw and ready to shoot. If those things are legal then why would a cross bow be illegal? With that gizmo there isn't much difference.

I agree with you horst. I've been playing with the crossbows at work and I agree they are loud, tough to re-load, and not as superior as some people think. Of the 5 or 6 that we have most of them shoot about as fast as most bows now a days...right around 280-300 (give or take) f.p.s. Cocking those damn things gives me a hernia without the easy pullers or cranks.
smile.gif

Like most people I talk to I can't stand it when someone who is perfectly healthy comes in and wants a crossbow because he/she is too lazy to sight in and practice with a normal bow. They say they have a friend who is a doctor who is going to write them their permission slip so they can go shoot a deer quick and easy with a crossbow. I just grind my teeth and go on.

I don't mind the crossbows for people who deserve them, in fact I am happy that disabled people have a way to hunt, but the few who want one just to make things easier irritate me. Like anything a select few make a bad impression for those who are legitimately handicapped and need the extra help in hunting.

A compound shooter who is a very good shooter would probably not gain much accuracy or range shooting a crossbow. That being said, the average Joe Bowhunter is not a really good shooter and most could greatly extend their accuracy and range with a crossbow. The average person who does not shoot a bow will find it much faster and easier to learn how to shoot a crossbow than a hand held bow.

Crossbows do have some significant advantages in the woods. The biggest one being that a crossbow is cocked and loaded at all times. The motion of drawing and releasing an arrow is responsible for more than just a few critters becoming alert and escaping.

Draw locks, super high let-offs, release aids, and other high-tech accessories all blur the distinction between bow and crossbow. That is why so many of us bowhunters push for reasonable restrictions on what types of equipment should be legal in an archery-only season. An archery-only season becomes meaningless if every gadget, do-dad, and invention is permitted to be used, all designed for only one reason...to make it easier.

As for arguments that crossbows increase hunter participation in the archery season, well let's just legalize any weapon including guns during the archery-only season. Bet we'd get a lot of additional participants.

crossbow companys are the ones pushing the crossbow in bow season.We have beat them back for years in m.i.
disable hunter have been able to use them and thats great,the last couple of years you could use them during the gun season but why? I dont get this, unless its to gain a inch at a time till they win.
gotta go the wings are on!

I will put in my 2 cents. I don't think much of the crossbow mostly because it isn't very efficent or a good weapon for deer. It is nosie, shoots to light of a bolt, and gives people the idea they can shoot deer like a rifle. I agree that most good compound bows are a much better choice, that do have amazing capabilities.

At bear camp last September the outfitter showed me a film of him shooting a white tail in Wyoming at 75 yards with his bow. I don't think much of that kind of thing and gave him grief about it. He shoots a Matthews Safari which he cranks up all the way to reach 110# draw. He said he had a sight pin set for 100 yards, and I told him he was crazy. He said " come on you doubting little pric*" picked up his bow walked across the yard, across the street, and across the neighbor's front yard. This is in a very small town with only 3 streets and about a dozen houses. He had one of those big block targets in his backyard. He proceeded to put five arrows in a small paper plate. We measured 85 yards, and the arrows penetrated at least 2/3 of their length.

I wouldn't have believed this if I had not seen it. I asked him why he would want to do that and he said because he could do it and do it well. I was using a stickbow that year that I had made that drew 74#, and I couldn't come close to getting his bow to breakover. This guy is one of the most ethical hunters I have ever met and I know he would only take a shot if he were absolutly sure he could make it.

I know that this may cause a stir but I don't think that cross bows represent much of a threat at their current level of development compared to compound bows. Draw locks don't mean much when bows have 85% or 90% let off and speeds of 350 or 380 fps. Cross bows even at 150# have such a short stroke and shoot such a light bolt they can't produce nearly as much energy as an average compound. I think as long as there is some kind of limitations or requirements put on them, there shouldn't be a problem.

When I had back surgery I bought a draw-lock for my bow. It does have a safety on it,but when locked if you droped it I imagine it would fire. I hunted with it one season( it was legal that year) didn't shoot anything with it. The best part was not having to draw, also any one could shoot off the adjusted sight and hit the bulls-eye. Alot less movement also. Now that it is illeagal I just leave it on the shelf, I have another bow to use anyhow. If I ever become crippled maybe I'll dig it back out of the closet. Al

Top Bottom