Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First night out and Now I have a ?

I

iabooner

I went out for the first time this year tonight. It was a great night. I saw a total of seven deer, three does, and four bucks. The bucks ranged from a small six to a very impressive eight pointer. The only thing is the eight has about 70in left side and would be great if the right side mathed, but is seems to be a little deformed, the tine length isn't there but it looked to be palmated. My problem is should I or shouldn't I shoot him if I get the chance. If I were the only one hunting in the area I would let him walk this year and see what he is next year. But, I know some of the other guys on surronding farms would shoot him in an instant. So should I shoot him if I get a chance or take a chance that someone else may shoot him if I pass, and I won't get to see what he would be like next year anyway. By the way he will probalby score in the 150's regardless.

In my opinion that depends on your goals and expectations. If he is a true trophy in your book and you are ready to end your year by shooting him this early then by all means you should take him. But if you are looking to shoot something a little bigger then you should let him walk. In my opinion you shouldn't let another hunter influence your harvest. A 150 class buck is a trophy in anybody's book and who knows if he will make through the year, but if you shoot him now you know he for certain he will not be around next year. Good hunting and show us photos if you decide to take him.

T.D.

Personally, I think way too many people are taking this "what will he score" thing too far. For many more years than it has been popular to do so I have refrained from shooting immature bucks and continue to do so. Taking a mature, as in 3 or more years old, deer, be it a doe or buck, is an accomplishment in my "book". My advice is don't shoot him or not shoot him based upon what others may think. If he is a trophy to you, go get him and be satisfied with that.

The corollary is... Why do we hunt? To impress others with the number of inches on the deer we shoot or to enjoy the outdoors and gain personal satisfaction with the experiences we have? I am beginning to think more people are over dosing on trying to impress others.

As far as the neighbors... there is no easy answer to that. I can think of several occasions where I let a buck go only to have someone else shoot him on down the line. Just two years ago I watched an eight pointer for several minutes right under my stand only to have him trot off finally and get himself shot about 400 yards from me. Oh well! When I explained to the gentleman at the road that I had seen his deer he couldn't believe I hadn't shot him, but in subsequent conversation he was persuaded to be a little more selective in future years. Small steps count.

All you can do is try to educate the neighboring hunters about letting the little ones go, it can and does pay off on an overall scale, but everyone's definition of a "big buck" differs and it is hard to get too riled up when someone shoots their deer of a lifetime even when you wouldn't.

Bottom line... enjoy yourself and if you want him, go get him. Just be sure to post the pictures so we can all enjoy him a little. Good luck.

Top Bottom