Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First shot at a deer!!! MISS!!!!!!!!

BowHunter84

Ok here is the scoop everyone, i need your opinion please. It was about 5:00 I hear a deer come up behind me i turn around to see what it was, and it was a mojor doe. Anyways she looks up at me but could identify, luckly i had perfect wind factor. She walked about 20 yards away from my stand and then come out of the woods. (im on a tree line) as she walks out she starts to walk down towards my stand again. I stand up to pull back. She now is about 25 yards she sees me again, and could not identify me. she walks another 5 yards leaving me a 20 yard shot. I put the pin oh the sweet spot. I shoot, right over its back. Perfect right left but too high. I ducts the shot, looks around doesnt move for about 5 seconds, trotts away from my stand and stops about 40 yards away to look back. the i think it walked into the woods but im not sure. I know this deer did not smell me! Do you guys think that this deer is spooked? Do you think that she will ever come back to the stand the way she did tonight? Do you think she will look up at my stand everytime now? Should i not hunt that stand tomarrow and stay out of the area?
Thanks for your help guys!

I wouldn't worry about it. She might make a wide path around you from now on or for just a day or two, but it sounds like she didn't know what you were.

Since your positive about the wind, keep hunting it. If your stand is easy to move then move down the timber strip 40 yards or so if it is still close to the deer trail.

I spook does every night, there are so many where I hunt you can't get out of your tree without hearing a wheeze. They still come back every night.

I applaud you for hunting does. Me, like many others are caught up in a monster buck syndrome. The does are a necessary evil to get to the bucks. If you can fool the does a rutting buck is gravy, because he is usually following them.

Thank you so much for your reply, if the wind is good tomarrow im going to go out in the morning, its a ladder stand so it is easy to move. I hope she comes back because she is BIG!!!
flaming.gif

Just a little advice if you want some. I believe she'll come back for starters, but think about what you told us, both times she spotted you, you were moving. So try to be a little more subtle with your movements or just don't move until she gets behind a tree or brush.

Good luck! Hope you get her!
Pupster

Bowhunter another thing to consider, i dont know since i wasnt there is maybe your shot wasnt off, maybe she jumped the string.If she already seen you move twice she was probably already alert, she could have simply ducked when she heard the shot, make sure to aim for the bottom 1/3 of the chest and if you either shoot high or she jumps the string you got her anyway, dont worry, she should be back

Don't ever let a concern about spooking a deer keep you from going out and having a good time in the woods.

Even if you only have one stand to hunt, if you want to hunt then get out there.

I think we spend too much time worrying our way out of good hunting time.

Amen, to doe hunting. I have passed up a dozen shot opportunities at nice bucks this year to get one good doe opportunity.

Have fun!

Top Bottom