Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fly Fisherman, the rest of the story added

Shovelbuck

I've never been much of a fly fisherman but do fish that way on rare occasions. I haven't been able to for quite a few years since my rods were/are in need of restoration.
I have two bamboo rods, and they belonged to both my Grandfathers. They are quite old.
I just finished getting one of them back to usable condition and might have to give it a go this summer.
I know there are much better rods with new high tech materials out there, but I do enjoy using the old stuff.
Thought some of you may enjoy a photo of a vintage bamboo rod.

100_0779.jpg
[/img]

Re: Fly Fisherman

That thing is pretty sweet, Jay!

I used to do LOTS of fly fishing, but bigger toothy fish caught my attention /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Jay as per usual it looks like you have done a great job. For the last few years I have used fly tackle for virtually all of my fishing. I have given some thought to building my own rod sometime and just yesterday I watched two videos about building bamboo rods. I must say it looks inviting but summer time is not the time to start a new hobby like that. I would currently enjoy using much more than building but maybe someday. Plus we just got a new camper that we will break in in a few weeks with a trip to Bennett Springs to fish for trout. I have seen some guys with some really nice Boo rods down there. Give it a go and good luck.

That is some nice work! I rewrapped one of my grandfather's bamboo fly rods several years ago and seem to have lost it in a move. In a box somewhere I guess. I really enjoyed working on that for a winter. What do you fish for with the fly gear?

Great looking rod Jay...I do flyfish quite a bit and love it. I'm a guy who went from Shotgunning to Bowhunting, and spin casting to fly fishing and tying my own flies. I imagine I'll probably hit the long bow up at some point in my life.

Just got back from Colorado and did a little fly fishing up there. Caught a few browns...great time!

thanks for the pic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any idea on what year that beauty was made? </div></div>

As mentioned, I have a pair of these. I also have the wood boxes they came in along with some flies, leaders, etc. The packages say..
"Made in occupied Japan" So probably around 60 years old.
I've got to replace about all the guides and wrap on the other rod, but actually it's the fancier one of the two. I didn't post the other pieces, but these rods also have extra tips that convert them to spinning rods. Reverse the grip, change the last section and you're spinning. I'm also restoring the wooden boxes they store in. Hopefully one of them will be done in a couple days. I'll post the pics as things get finished.

As for what I fish for with them, whatever is biting. I'd really like to hook a big carp on a flyrod. I think that would be a riot!

A carp would surely put a bend in that rod. My cuz and I fly-fish lots of different fish, but mostly muskies and bass. One day we found a pod of carp moving upstream and he worked a fly under one of the big ones. That fish sucked up that fly and took off like a bronc!They are impressive....

Well..........one done, one to go. I completed restoration of the storage box today and when parts arrive, I'll get going on the other set.
I did get the complete story of these rods today. I thought I'd ask Mom is she remembered the story of them or not. She usually can't remember where her keys are /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif but knew about the flyrods right off.
My Dad brought them home from Japan when he was aboard the USS Windham Bay. He was in the Navy on that carrier from 1951-1955. Since items from Japan that say "Made in Occupied Japan" were only made from 1945-1952 that narrows the age of these down to either 51 or 52.
Dad then gave one to his father and one to his Father in law.
It's sort of nice to now know the story of how these came to be mine.

100_0878.JPG

If you look close at the top spinning tips, there are some guide wraps that have black thread. I first thought about redoing them so that they were a closer match to the originals. But then the more I thought about it.....My Grandfather made those repairs years ago and they still work. It's best to leave them. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I would treat that set like GOLD. You were saying something about trying to catch a carp on it. You are one BRAVE man! I know them things are strong but theres always that .0001% chance u could snap that thing and that would ruin a very good thing. I would /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

I agree, that set is beyond priceless, I would display it proudly on my mantle and admire it everyday.

I've got to say I agree guys. They will be passed on to my son and daughter in ready to use condition. If they choose to use them, it will be their choice. For me, I'll get them out once in a while and remember the great times I had with those men.

100_08792.JPG

When the other set is finished, I'll post pics of both together.

Shovel, will you please walk around your house and take as many photos as possible. I would love to see it! Also, I vote we have a fourum for you to post pics everyday.

Well, the other set is now totally done. I finished restoring the storage box yesterday.
I think I'll just enjoy them for a while then give them to my kids for there birthdays this year.
I'm going to write a little note about the history of them and tuck away inside each box so the history doesn't get lost to future generations.
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

100_1067.JPG
100_1115.JPG

Top Bottom