Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

FOC

jharrell

Okay, we have been over this before but I have read two different schools of thought on this and was wandering which one is right. Is arrow length with or without your broadhead? I've seen it listed both ways and it makes a big differnce. I am 6.6% with broadhead and 10.2% without. I like the 10.2% but that is not how I have done it in the past. I have always included the broadhead in the past. Thanks in advance.
grin.gif

I would have to say with a broad head. Of course the center balancing point will be the same but the overall length would change. Since your concern is for hunting and not target I would have to go with the BH.

F.O.C. Here is a breif description and explanation for this:

Aluminum carbon arrows usually are tuned within a wide range of spine by using various point and insert weight combinations. Choose a insert and point weight combination suggested in manufacture specifications. Aluminum arrows can be point-weighted by 7% or 9%front of center, nib points, or by adding point weight systems to get weights between 7-9% or over 9% F.O.C. One thing to remember is the point and insert combinations are suggested weights and are a good starter point. If an arrow is too weak, use a lighter insert and point. If the arrow is too stiff, try a heavier insert and point. Continue to change insert adn point weight within the acceptable balance point range 7-16% F.O.C.

For recurve bows, another way of altering arrow spine is by adjusting the brace height. Increaseing brace height will make a arrow shoot weaker, and decreasing brace height will make it shoot stiffer.

Hope this helps someone out!

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys.

Know with all that said lets move on to the problem I new I had to begin with. Using the links Limb gave I am at 6.9% FOC. I am shooting 100 grain muzzy's on a 28.5 inch Carbon Tech Whitetail 65/80 arrow that tips the scale at 9 grains per inch without the broadhead. I can't see any flight problem with my field tips but when I put my broadhead on is this going to be a problem? If so can I change my FOC without going to a heavier broadhead?

I think to only way that you can change that without changing the weight of your broadhead is to either change the insert weight, shorten the arrow, or get a different arrow. Kind of one of those deals where you just put together one arrow and mess around with it, then once you have it where you want it then build the rest of them. Falls under the Micro Tuning Process of a Bow.

And to add if you broadheads are shooting fine don't worry about it. I did calculations with my easton axis which are also 9 grns per inch and got 9.7% FOC. Don't know how much difference there would be in the shafts. I am guessing you will be fine.

axis F.O.C.

I cut these down a half inch from my PSE arrows I was shooting to try and compensate when I made them up so I am as short as I can go. I don't know what the components are or what they weigh on the arrows (factory stuff) so I have just been using the measure technique. I will shoot my broadheads and see if I can see anything. Thanks again guys.

Top Bottom