Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food ID

Fishbonker

Life Member
Can anybody tell me what plant this is? The deer are absolutely hammering it now. It was in a Bucks and Bosses mix.

Deer_food_ID_009.jpg

Deer_food_ID_012.jpg

This is a leaf that got pawed up but not eaten:

Deer_food_ID_018.jpg

This is what they leave, just the stalk:

Deer_food_ID_016.jpg

They also finally dug up a turnip.

Deer_food_ID_020.jpg

I think if I can figure out what that is I'm gonna plant a bunch of it next summer.

Thanks.

The 'Bonker

Bonk,
To be honest I was kind of scared to open the thread. I did not know what to expect. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

From a novice's opinion it looks like it is some kind of a Brassicas. They were (until the last 8 inches of snow) hammering mine also and it looks just like yours.
Some of the experts will hopefully chime in.

I used the mix Paul had at the beginning of the Brassicas thread.

Good luck getting out of the penalty box. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: risto2351</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bonk,
To be honest I was kind of scared to open the thread. I did not know what to expect.</div></div>

I agree, after reading one of Bonk's other posts, this "Food I.D." had me expecting to see something floating in his crapper. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Is it Chicory? Almost looks to big though. The experts will chime in soon I hope.

[quote
Is it Chicory? Almost looks to big though. The experts will chime in soon I hope. [/quote]

Just wondering isn't Chicory a little broader leaf like a dandelions?

Brassica for sure...most of mine never made it to snow cover but it will stay green and tasty into cold winter months.

HeavyUse.jpg

Note the stem and leaf type and color:

DERcloseup.jpg

Mid Nov.

Turnips11-2.jpg

Most of my brassicas were grazed to the ground by December:

Decbrassicas.jpg

But I did have a small plot near the house that they didn't touch at first:

DecRape.jpg

Even by mid Dec. they were still intact:

Turnip12-12.jpg

Mid Jan though they finally went to work on them:

01-23-07Brassicas.jpg

WinterBrassicas.jpg

More pics in the Brassica thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skully</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: risto2351</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bonk,
To be honest I was kind of scared to open the thread. I did not know what to expect.</div></div>

I agree, after reading one of Bonk's other posts, this "Food I.D." had me expecting to see something floating in his crapper. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
</div></div>
Or floating in his colon...ewwwwwww.

The deer just recently started sampling my purple top turnips. Maybe they werent a waste of time after all? Have to wait and see.

'Bonk, I think that mix is legumes, and Chicory was there any brassicas in that spot last year, or left over seed in whatever you used to plant that plot?

The more I think about it I posted the contents on here. I'll have to look back. That'd be easier than going out to the garage and looking at the bag.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Central Iowa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">'Bonk, I think that mix is legumes, and Chicory was there any brassicas in that spot last year, or left over seed in whatever you used to plant that plot? </div></div>

Travis is right...no brassicas in the BnB mix. I looked up Tecomate Seed Mixes and their brassicas are in a different mix?

Hmmm..."mystery seed"?? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I did find this:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any harm planting oats with turnips? I wonder if the oats will out compete the turnips. I'm geting ready to plant turnips in the next three to four weeks and I over bought oat seed so I thought I'd use some up with the turnips.

The 'Bonker
</div></div>

Sometimes it's helpful to mark planting types on an arial photo to remember what is planted where (not that you would ever get...errr..."confused" Bonker... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif )

Here is what was in the bag:

Tecomate Bucks and Bosses

16% Zapican White Clover

15% Madrid Yellow Blossom Sweet Clover

15% Naomi Wooly Pod Vetch

7% La Ninia Chichory

7% Tripoli White Clover

7% Huia White Clover

7% Start Red Clover

5% Norcen Birdsfoot Trefoil

3% Facon Chicory

0.1% Other Crop Seed

0.5% Inert Matter

0.03% Weed Seed

19% Coating Material

There were a few turnips in the field,but that was probably from a few seeds left in my hand crank seeder after seeding the turips in another plot a week of two before.

The plant in question had a very thick stalk with the leaves starting from the top of the stalk. One of the pics I posted atempted to show how thick the stalk was. The plants got to be around 24 inches tall.

It was planted in early August and there weren't any flowers/blooms on anything except button weeds.

I'm wondering if this isn't going to fall into the 0.1% "other" crop seed. There were only a dozen or so of these plants in the plot.

Thanks.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The plant in question had a very thick stalk with the leaves starting from the top of the stalk. One of the pics I posted atempted to show how thick the stalk was. The plants got to be around 24 inches tall</div></div>

I'd say it is rape (specifically) most likely just some "inert" seed as you say.

I don't have any pictures of my own but here's one showing rape that has matured (Pulsar Forage Rape)

Brassicas.jpg

Rape2_jpg.jpg

It could also be a long season brassica like Kale?

NelsonKale1S.jpg

or if it has a "turnip like root" it could be swedes.

U.K. Swedes

Kale and swedes are 150-180 day brassica versions of 60-90 day rape and turnips.

Brassicas

Growing Brassicas

After looking around the ‘net I think this is Kale. It is in the Brassicaceae family, specifically Brassica oleracea, variety unknown. It is the stalk that makes me think that. The leaves in Kale vary greatly between varieties.

All I know for sure is I’m gonna plant them some where next summer.

Thanks for all the links and advice.

The ‘Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After looking around the ‘net I think this is Kale. It is in the Brassicaceae family, specifically Brassica oleracea, variety unknown. It is the stalk that makes me think that. The leaves in Kale vary greatly between varieties.

All I know for sure is I’m gonna plant them some where next summer.

Thanks for all the links and advice.

The ‘Bonker
</div></div>

Kale and swede seed seem to be hard to find...more common in the U.K. and N.Z.

Seedland has Kale Seed

and Welter Seed has a Kale and Swede mix that looks interesting.

I'd like to try some myself so perhaps we could split some this spring. I'll keep checking around for other seed sources.

Some mixes contain to much short season brassicas in with the long season kale and swedes which doesn't make sense to me. Turnips will mature and rot in late summer if planted in spring when the kale and swedes should be.

I took some photos of the "stumps" the deer have been gnawing all winter. They would paw through the snow just to chew on the stumps. I gotta find out what this was. The last photo is what makes me wonder if it isn't marrow stemmed kale.

stalk_001.jpg

stalk_002.jpg

stalk_005.jpg

Anybody ever sent a photo to Tecamonte so they could identify what was growing from their mix?

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">marrow stemmed kale.
</div></div>

nannyslayer...do you have any of that seed in stock?? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I may have to order that one /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif . I think that will fall under "specialty crops" . I know I have something in stock that will kill it /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif .

Top Bottom