Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food Plot = Dead Now what?

bowhuntr311

IowaWhitetail Addict
Hey all,

I thought I knew what I was doing but I didnt plan on this.

I planted 3/4 acre of Dwarf Essex Rape. It started to come up nicely.
I also planted 3/4 acre of Clover/turnip mix. Well the majority of the clover seed must have not germinated or was really old. Turnips came in nicely with a little clover coming in.

Well, having almost drought conditions this summer didnt help my plot which is in pure sand. Its almost all dead, not just dead but dried up and completely gone. The rape thats not dead the deer have already eaten and the clover is so thin that I would RUP it all if it wasnt for the turnips/rutebegas.

Long story short. I want the best possible plot for this fall either straight rye or rye/brassicas mix and I want the best clover plot for next year. I think my turnips/rutebegas are worth keeping for now.

I was thinking about planting rye and clover at the same time but was thinking the rye may choke out the new clover plants this fall and next spring.

Any ideas?

Dean

Winter wheat or rye right before a rain now- not too heavy (like 50lbs/acre) you'll need to be a little heavier because you aren't going to tear the ground up- some won't germinate, some will get eaten before it does. Then frost seed clover in Feb or March.

[ QUOTE ]
Winter wheat or rye right before a rain now- not too heavy (like 50lbs/acre) you'll need to be a little heavier because you aren't going to tear the ground up- some won't germinate, some will get eaten before it does. Then frost seed clover in Feb or March.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree...the rye will mature very early in the spring and most likely not interfere with the clover seedlings.

You can clip it later next summer if you need to.

Brassicas don't like droughty soil at all and clover seedlings need good moisture.

You may be better off with alfalfa next spring (you can till the rye under and plant oats/alfalfa) as alfalfa does much better on lighter soils then clover.

Top Bottom