Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food plot fencing

stickbow

stickbow
Currently we use 3 0r 4 strand rope electric fencing over last 15 years on our corn plots 2-10 acre in size with varied results. Nearer the timber more deer and coon damage away from timber they do well. Pound the coons pretty hard trapping. Weed pressure controlled with spraying. Has anyone considered or is using a permanent/semi permanent combination to better fence off say 5-7 acre plot. What I envision are sections of permanent with woven wire, likely 6 foot with ends removable as well as sections on sides removable to allow deer/equipment in and out. The negative for me is mostly in the feeling of fencing deer in/out/hunting an enclosure so to speak. Ideas on construction? Ethical?

I hope it is ethical...because I got sick and tired of destroyed corn and bean plots year after year, so we erected 3 areas last summer.

By the time we got the fence up the plots were already suffering, so we only "capped off" one of them. But it definitely helped...we were able to get a corn crop there even in the drought.

We have two, 1 acre plots and one, 2 acre plot. Our approach...two parallel lines, about 7' tall, woven wire that are permanent. Then seasonally we will e-fence the ends.

I’ve thought of stuff like this….
Any plastic snow fence. Not that expensive. Can get 6’ & 8’ if wanted. Can google plastic snow fence. Or plastic deer fence. If u get 330’ rolls- that covers a lot of area. If I didn’t do electric tape- this might be next option I’d look into. I personally would want to take the whole fence down when opened it.

I've thought about this myself. I'm a little bothered by the idea of limiting the deer's entrance and escape options with a fence while actively hunting. It'd sure be nice to have a fence that didn't require the constant maintenance of spraying that a hot wire needs though.

My thoughts were small wire woven to try and keep coons out. Could coons still get in yours Daver? Would they climb fence? What type posts did you use? Problem is no easy way to drop wire for a couple openings on each side on a larger plot. i like the snow fence option. I wonder if coons would climb or chew through. Would be alot easier to drop snow fence than wire woven I think. Maybe wire on sides, snow on ends? Thanks for the ideas. Will probably try it on one plot next year and see how it works

My thoughts were small wire woven to try and keep coons out. Could coons still get in yours Daver? Would they climb fence? What type posts did you use? Problem is no easy way to drop wire for a couple openings on each side on a larger plot. i like the snow fence option. I wonder if coons would climb or chew through. Would be alot easier to drop snow fence than wire woven I think. Maybe wire on sides, snow on ends? Thanks for the ideas. Will probably try it on one plot next year and see how it works
Coon will get in- they are relentless when they find something they want. Only thing to attempt to keep them at bay is electric fencing.
I’ve trapped so hard this year after coon ruined the neighbors corn (he blamed deer) that now I’m not seeing a single coon. I’m not dumb- I know they are still around. My buddy has 20-30 a night on his cameras yet- but he doesn’t want to trap

My fence won't keep coons out, I am not sure any fence could. I deal with them separately.

My corner posts are treated 6" x 6"s. Then I alternate metal T-posts and treated wood posts, I think on 10' increments. I think. But it is STOUT.

3/4 inch 10ft EMT conduit pounded in 3-4 ft with zip tied matching height (I like the 8ft) plastic deer fence from Amazon (1x1 inch square size) keeps out most critters. I like to leave the bottom about 1 ft long and bury it so nothing goes/digs under the fence. If you want to be "fancy" you can put a tee connection at the top of the fence, leave that zip tied, cut the vertical zip ties, and roll down whatever 10 ft sections you would like to "open" the plot. $9 bucks per 10 ft conduit is WAY CHEAPER than anything pressure treated. About 1/4 of the cost vs. wood and hog panel method.

If the coons are really bad and chew through near the ground, a bottom row of short chicken wire should fix that problem.

Hope this helps.

I've seen guys run an extra wire 6" off the ground for coons. Guess it's pretty affective. You would really have to be on top of your weeds/grass so it doesn't short out.

Personally, I just eradicate the coons.

Top Bottom