Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food Plot First-Timer

Waddell Wannabe

Quick Trigger
Alright, here's the deal. My first food plot is in progress. I started by mowing it down, tilling it up, and hitting all the the weeds that grew back with roundup. I planted clover, alfalfa, and perennial ryegrass (as a ground cover to keep the seed cool and weeds out while the clover and alfalfa germinates. My question to you all is, what can I spray on this plot for the weeds that will inevitably come back, AND where can I get it? I read some other posts about a product called SELECT. Can I get the "crop oil concentrate" at the same place?

Well this spring I planted some sugar beets that weren't round up ready. So I went to my area Co-op and told them what I planted and they told me what I could spray on the beets, it was Select. I know Select kills grasses and not broadleafs, so I dont know about the ryegrass.

You can use Select but it will kill the ryegrass, something I suggest you do anyway if alfalfa and clover are you main goal.

Select is clethodim and there are many generic versions including Arrow and Volunteer and you will need crop oil concentrate to use with it..

BUTYRAC® 200 is 2-4DB (not 2-4D) and you can use that to control broadleaves in alfalfa and clover although generally clipping the weeds will be enough to control broadleaves.

I usally clip weeds roughly 8" high rather then "mow" the new seedling alfalfa at first and quite often mowing is enough to control annual weeds and grasses the first year, so you might give that a try before spending money on herbicides.

The herbicide thread has herbicide sources and labels that will give you more detailed information on the subject as well. :)

Top Bottom