Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food Plot Question

corygnc

I am going to have a guy bulldoze a bunch of trails through some timber of mine. I thought of planting some round up ready alfalfa in the trails after they are in. 3 questions:
1. What do you guys think?
2. Will alfalfa grow well in timber, there will be some sunlight but not a ton?
3. Any advice on bulldozing trails in timber?
Thanks, Cory

[ QUOTE ]
I am going to have a guy bulldoze a bunch of trails through some timber of mine. I thought of planting some round up ready alfalfa in the trails after they are in. 3 questions:
1. What do you guys think?
2. Will alfalfa grow well in timber, there will be some sunlight but not a ton?
3. Any advice on bulldozing trails in timber?
Thanks, Cory

[/ QUOTE ]

If you try anything I would go with white clover. IMO alfalfa wouldn't fly in a shaded area. RR alfalfa would an extremely expensive way to find out....it won't work.

Alfalfa can be pretty finicky to grow- I wouldn't even attempt it without full sunlight. Dbltree hit it- white clover would be my choice but I'd really see about wider areas being pushed as long as the dozer is already there.

we were going to plant our food plots 2 years ago and it was virgin ground and we just had a new disk and 4 wheeler and there was no way we were going to break the ground and disk it. Luckily we had a bulldozer working right by fixing terrasses and we had him plow up the ground on this top ridge, we disked it up, planted alfalfa, clover, and chicory and it gets plenty of sunlight and the deer mowed it to the ground before deer season opened!

Top Bottom