Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food Plot Rehab Advice

petherss

Need a little advice fellas. Last year I planted alfalfa/clover together and as a cover crop, I planted rye with it. The deer loved it this fall but the rye got out of control and eventually headed out (planted rye way too early). I would like to rehab this plot this year with only alfalfa/clover. Is this possible or should I disk the whole thing and replant with alf/clover? Thanks!!

BC

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

I think your rye is finished...being an annual.

Go in there and frost seed more clover in March. At the same time put 200 lbs per acre of 6-28-28 or some other fertilizer low in nitrogen.

Then just keep it mowed short to get rid of the weeds, grasses, etc.

I would have to see how bad it is now to be able to tell you to start over or not.

You will be surprised how a thick stand of clover will keep weeds and grasses at bay!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Last year I planted alfalfa/clover together and as a cover crop, I planted rye with it. </div></div>

Ghost already gave you the right advice but perhaps you could give us a little more information.

Exactly when did you plant the alfalfa/clover/rye mix?

Are you sure that there is no alfalfa and clover there now?

It will be perfect to frost seed into for sure (clover only)but just wondering if the legumes you planted actually failed or not?

Howdy. I planted everything the first week in August. I know now that was a good month too early. In the areas that I 'missed' with rye, I think the clover/alf looks pretty good. However the rye got away from me quick and when it was waste deep, I rooted thru it and could only find a few sickly looking alfalfa/clover survivors. All the rye headed out and I'm thinking it will naturally reseed itself if I don't disk it under and try again this fall??? Thanks! BC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All the rye headed out and I'm thinking it will naturally reseed itself if I don't disk it under and try again this fall??? </div></div>

First...the early August alfalfa/clover seeding timing was perfect...if you had left out the rye /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I could be wrong but I think the legumes will come on better then you think this next spring.

The rye will have already dropped it's seed this past fall so you shouldn't have much problem this coming spring...and any growth can be quickly dealt with by clipping.

As Ghost suggested I would frost seed some white clover in the thin areas in Feb./Mar. then clip it once things get going this spring. That will take care of any residual rye, weeds etc. and let your new seeding have a chance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6-28-28, why so little nitrogen? Is it to keep weeds down?

The 'Bonker </div></div>

Legumes don't need nitrogen Bonker...they make their own. Adding nitrogen will encourage weeds and grasses not to mention being very very expensive now days.

It is true that legumes are more then happy to use "free" nitrogen and some folks add a shot in the fall to "spruce" up a clover plot.

Ghost suggested that mix because 6-24-24 fertilizer mixes are commonly found. If having it mixed however one could skip the -N- altogether.

Top Bottom