Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food plots in CRP/Wetland Reserve

HunterB

I am starting to get a game plan together for what I’d like to do for food plots this spring and want to establish a few new plots. Some of the plots that I would like to start would be in areas that are enrolled in CRP and in Wetland Reserve programs. I called the local NRCS office and was told that I could not put food plots into these areas. In the past I thought I had read on here that it was possible to do, but could not find the threads. Does anyone have any insight on planting plots in either of these areas? Does it have to be specifically stated in the contract?

Thanks for the help.

As said, crp depends on the practice.
For wrp, ask for a compatible use authorization. If they say no, ask for that in writing and you want your appeal rights.

Kind of similar answer here on WRP. You will have to dig into the details with them. I have 60 acres in a WRP that I can put plots in, but it was put in WRP in the 80's, so the details are likely different than one recently enrolled. I am restricted on how much food plot and I have to have the area in plot approved.

As a new enrollment, up to 5% MAY be allowed in food plots in the wetland restoration plan of operations.
Once enrolled and restored, then things get more tricky. It is not likely that they will allow you to remove trees to plant food. But maybe there are areas that trees didn't survive, then you can ask for a compatible use authorization to convert that to food plots within your 5% as an example.

I have WRP and can have % in plots based on total acres. Have to get approved first. May depend when enrolled.

Will depend on your contract or practice. As an example, my CP22 Riparian Buffer CRP does not allow for food plots.

Top Bottom