Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

? for you Nebraska turkey hunters

flugge

I am looking into going to Nebraska next spring to hunt turkeys. I am however looking for Merriams. What do you guys usually shoot? Easterns? Hybrids? any info and help would be appreciated..been talking to the game and fish department some already, trying to plan next year already. Crazy I know...but I know some of you guys bowhunt out there, and hoped you could push me in a general direction. Thanks in advance..
Ryan Flugge

If you want a "true" merriam, you should focus on the western part of the state. I have shot a few hybrids out there, but there are solid "white" merriams as well. The whole state is great and there are Merriams in the north central part as well.

flugge, I'm sure some of the "purist" turkey hunters will dissagree but here's what I know. Finding a "Pure" Merriams, geneticly or with DNA would be tough. Most are the so called hybreds. With that said, the best places to try to find a pure strain is the northeast or north west parts of the state. The good news is this..........I spoke with a biologist with the NWTF awhile back and he told me that as far as he was concerned, if it looks like a Merriam, it is one. If it looks like a Rio, it is one. And so on. For the slam, all you need is a witness to verify it.
I'm very fortunate in my area as I have Merriams, Rios, and Easterns all in the same area. And I'm not telling where. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Take it for what it's worth, your mileage may vary.

Shovel is right about if it looks like a merriam it is. The birds in the northwest corner around Pine Ridge are still by themselves for now. About 60 miles south there are rio's. Pretty country up there. Tuff hunting. Lots of pressure.

Top Bottom