Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Forage Soybeans

huntdoc

Curious what experience folks had with these. Making plans now for plots and wondered if they were preferred over regular soys. I believe they come in RR varieties. Will they withstand pressure better? My deer density is not as high as dbltree's so hopefully they will grow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the difference between forage soybeans and other soybeans? </div></div>

Good question and Randy's link pretty much covers that but here's a link to where mine cam from with some good comparison pics: Eagle Forage Soybeans

They are Roundup Ready and I planted 6 acres of the Roundup Ready Corn and Soybean mix and planted one bag of the Eagle brand beans.

When I took these pictures the forage soybeans were the only ones left and they were being eaten at a rapid rate, but apparantly able to "out grow" the grazing.

Eaglesoys.jpg

Soysinthecorn.jpg

Regular soybeans are bred for an entirely different purpose of course and "grazing" isn't one of them /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Just like there is "grazing alfalfa" and "fodder corn" some varieties have been bred to take grazing that would kill those bred for hay or grain harvest.

We all know that regular alfalfa, corn and soybeans will work just fine...but we're also always looking for that little extra...edge... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

The link I provided talked of "soybean groups" and was down south. So that begged the question, what's a soybean group?
From a website:
Soybeans

How many different maturity groups are there?

There are 13 recognized maturity classes for soybeans. These range from maturity groups 000, 00, 0, and I through X. Those varieties with the lowest number designation (000 to IV) are considered indeterminate while maturity groups V through X are determinate varieties. Early maturity varieties (000 to IV) are adapted to the more northern climatic regions with the maturity designation increasing as you move south.

And more information on soybeans, to answer the indeterminate/determinate question: Soybean info

Perfect thread for a question I've been having. A few people have told me that mixing corn and beans is not good because the corn shades the beans and the beans then in turn will not grow. However, Mossy Oak offers their Biomaxx which is a corn and soybean mix and apparently the foraging results have been very impressive according to reviews. Are the beans in the Biomaxx engineered differently than regular soybeans or can I just go to my local co-op and buy an acre bag of seed corn and soybean?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SEIowaDeerslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perfect thread for a question I've been having. A few people have told me that mixing corn and beans is not good because the corn shades the beans and the beans then in turn will not grow. However, Mossy Oak offers their Biomaxx which is a corn and soybean mix and apparently the foraging results have been very impressive according to reviews. Are the beans in the Biomaxx engineered differently than regular soybeans or can I just go to my local co-op and buy an acre bag of seed corn and soybean? </div></div>

I found that corn did not shade out the beans and Biomaxx is no different then any other Roundup Ready soybeans except that they are very expensive and packaged in a "pretty bag" /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Save your money and buy year old seed for 1/2 price...just make sure both corn and soys are indeed RR. Whenever possible a shorter variety of corn is best and the forage or vining Eagle brand soybeans are perhaps better suited to mixing with corn although they are more expensive.

Top Bottom