Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Found out the hard way......

Liv4Rut

That Blackhorn 209 is corrosive to stainless steel :thrwrck::thrwrck:
I was an idiot and forgot to clean my muzzleloader at the end of late muzzleloader. I fired two shots through at the end and was just lazy I guess. I kind of forgot about cleaning it actually. It's still shooting good at the range but when I went to clean it out tonight I can see the barrel is pitted pretty bad and I can't my breach plug out. I guess the anti-sieze dried up.

I am about learning the hard way I guess. Learn from my mistake :way:

A couple years ago a friend of mine borrowed my muzzleloader for hunting. When he gave it back to me I assumed he had cleaned it... well the following fall I found out he hadn't. I took it to a gunsmith and they soaked it in something for a couple weeks and cleaned it right up. At the time I was shooting a bottom dollar CVA with a blued barrel and T7 pellets and it was completely rusted... but like I said, cleaned right up.

That Blackhorn 209 is corrosive to stainless steel :thrwrck::thrwrck:

So is black powder, pyrodex, and any other substitute powders. About the only thing stainless has going for it is that it cleans easier at the end of the day.
Get some good penetrating oil and dump down the barrel. In a few days you should be able to remove the breech plug. If that doesn't work, a little heat on the barrel will.

I learned a lesson this week too....this is my second year muzzleloader hunting..I borrow a gun last year and bought my own this year. I got a traditions pursuit...I've been hunting hard since opening sat. hadn't had any shots and I just take the primer in and out when I go. Finally had a shot at a doe Wed. night and she was keyed up, looking at me...she snuck up behind me and saw me...anyways, I set up on her, picked a spot, safety off, pulled the hammer back, and squeeeeeze....click....about 5-7 seconds passed and I lifted my head off the barrel about to say, "what the heck is going on" and KA-BOOM" Totally missed the deer because I lifted my head at that point...it was almost dark at that point and the deer were gone so I reloaded again and shot a bail and it shot perfectly. I cleaned it that night and the powder was sort of caked on the inside of the breech plug, like it was wet. I'm guessing in an out morning evening created moisture in there. SO I guess I need to shoot it every few days regardless of seeing deer or not so its a fresh dry charge in there...glad I learned this lesson on a doe, not a buck!

Did you fire a couple primers off before loading it? This time of year with this weather, I wouldn't think the in and out of the house would not cause the problem.

Last edited:
No I didn't...I agree, that's what I figured was the in/out of the house created the moisture...

Sorry, I left out the word "not". The weather has been low humidity and the temps are mild. That should not cause a condensation / sweating problem. Probably oil in the flash channel. Always fire a primer or two before loading to make sure any oil is burnt out.

Try some GunScrubber or penetrating oil, that stuff will get into anything and you should be able to get the plug out.

That sucks about your gun! I know that savage makes muzzleloaders that are bored to shoot smokeless powder, it would be something to consider if you want an alternative to blackpowder and corrosive substitutes. It would also cut your cleaning in half.

It's just good to remember to clean your gun after shooting it. The type of powder I shoot doesnt much matter as long as you clean the gun. I was taught to clean with hot soapy water, then dry, then clean with bore cleaner, then dry, then oil. I've never had a rust issue doing this. Hopefully you got that breech plug out!

What kind of penetrating oil would you guys recommend. Have a slight issue with a few threads in the barrel.

I just cleaned my CVA Optima Pro that I had left loaded after shooting it 5 or 6 times a couple of years ago, and had blown off cleaning it. I shoot Triple 7 and the barrel cleaned up and looks shiny new. Breech plug came out easy. I use Thompson Center anti-seize breech plug lubricant. I was pleasantly surprised. I was ashamed of myself for treating my gun that way. I used Arm and Hammer scrub free bathroom clreaner w-Oxy foaming action. I use bore butter also.

Last edited:
Top Bottom