Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"Friends" of IA Lobbyist Disclosure Info.

The one thing I do like about Iowa managament and hunting is that back in the day every farmer with a bulldozer pushed over every stand of timber to plant, and left the rolling hills and ditches with timber. In Iowa you find the timber you find the deer. It is much easier to pattern in Iowa than in a block timber state like PA.
That said I'm surprised you guys don't do better with herd management and coming into compliance with the DNR's harvest numbers.

I Think we must be doing some thing right since people are willing to sell their souls and cut throats to hunt here every year. I mean who would of thought an out side groups shoving money down the pockets of a politican to cut the jugular of the people who voted them into the position. To change the laws of a state that they the outside group doesnt even reside in. They just know and belive with all their hearts they are what keeps Iowa afloat and surviving, and are getting screwed. If they put this much effort in changing the laws and regulations of thier own state where the voice matters maybe the would have deer like we do in Iowa and could bitch and moan about things that matter in life like Socialized medicane and dead beats sucking tax dollars through a system called welfare. Where they encourage you to sit on the porch, get fat, bitch about you living system and that the goverment wont pay their cable bill.

The one thing I do like about Iowa managament and hunting is that back in the day every farmer with a bulldozer pushed over every stand of timber to plant, and left the rolling hills and ditches with timber. In Iowa you find the timber you find the deer. It is much easier to pattern in Iowa than in a block timber state like PA.
That said I'm surprised you guys don't do better with herd management and coming into compliance with the DNR's harvest numbers.

Seems to me we have a troll amongst us :confused:

i think we must be doing some thing right since people are willing to sell their souls and cut throats to hunt here every year. I mean who would of thought an out side groups shoving money down the pockets of a politican to cut the jugular of the people who voted them into the position. To change the laws of a state that they the outside group doesnt even reside in. They just know and belive with all their hearts they are what keeps iowa afloat and surviving, and are getting screwed. If they put this much effort in changing the laws and regulations of thier own state where the voice matters maybe the would have deer like we do in iowa and could bitch and moan about things that matter in life like socialized medicane and dead beats sucking tax dollars through a system called welfare. Where they encourage you to sit on the porch, get fat, bitch about you living system and that the goverment wont pay their cable bill.

amen to that!!!!!

I am a Iowa resident who lived in PA at one time. So have studied the issues. I believe that most of the comments here are somewhat true. It is a question of population I recall reading that Iowa has among the least amount of pressure in the US. PA is overrun with hunters, they are killing machines, High powered rifles are the norm and they know how to shoot better than anyone east of the rockies. In the early 2000s they decimated the herd, to save the forest. They bow hunt hard too. They hunt far more days afield than an iowan. Few Iowans will miss work to hunt. Poaching is way less in Iowa. Iowa limits the amount a person can hunt.. The short shot guns seasons after the rut are a key factor. Iowa limits early BP too. So the regs have a big part in it.

But the culture is very different in rural IA and PA. Few small town folks in IA hunt. I cant believe that Ottumwa is about to become the video game capitol of the world (hall of fame). With all the wild outdoors around them many IA youth are watching the tube. Of course in PA they are the extreme opposite, if someone sees a 140" buck it will die illegally if word gets out. In Iowa to most "its just another deer". While timber is less in iowa, deer are fringe animals. IA has tons of CRP, fence rows, and deer can elude hunters out in open country very well.

I Think we must be doing some thing right since people are willing to sell their souls and cut throats to hunt here every year. I mean who would of thought an out side groups shoving money down the pockets of a politican to cut the jugular of the people who voted them into the position. To change the laws of a state that they the outside group doesnt even reside in. They just know and belive with all their hearts they are what keeps Iowa afloat and surviving, and are getting screwed. If they put this much effort in changing the laws and regulations of thier own state where the voice matters maybe the would have deer like we do in Iowa and could bitch and moan about things that matter in life like Socialized medicane and dead beats sucking tax dollars through a system called welfare. Where they encourage you to sit on the porch, get fat, bitch about you living system and that the goverment wont pay their cable bill.

:drink1: .........and most of them wouldn't give a hoot to come to this State if the deer weren't here......

Andes,

I'm glad you speak from experience. It's hard to explain to others who havn't experienced a PA rifle hunt.

But the culture is very different in rural IA and PA. Few small town folks in IA hunt. I cant believe that Ottumwa is about to become the video game capitol of the world (hall of fame).

Andes,

I respect your post since you have experience in both states but will have to respectfully disagree on a few points.

I don't know what small towns you are refferring to but the small town I am from and all surrounding small towns it is an absolute tradition to hunt here in IA. There are numerous hunters in the woods and it is very hard to find any land to access that isn't already being hunted my mulitple hunters. Another thing with Ottumwa is that we all know it is a little different demographic than most Iowa towns, take a trip to Ottumwa Wal-Mart and you will figure that out. I am sure the Ottumwa hunting population is probably skewed because of this demographic that doesn't carry a hunter/outdoorsman type of lifestyle.

ScottonBuck - I couldn't agree more with what you had to say!

FYI,

The "friends" of Iowa spent at least 18,000 trying to get Iowa's rules changed during this years legislative session. That didn't work to well for them:grin:... but how much will they be willing to shell out next year?

In the big picture 18k really isnt alot of money for something like this. I think they are going to have to dig a little deeper than that.

Andesman you say hardly any Iowan takes time off from work. I'd have to disagree. I know here in my tiny little part of So. West Iowa and at my job in particular with Pott Co. there are many of us who do not even work the entire month of Nov and this includes the Dec shotgun seasons as well. Heck their are 5-6 of us at the Sheriffs department who havent worked a November in over 5 years. Personally I have averaged about 10-12 days of work from October 27 to the day after Chirstmas over the last 9 years. And believe me, we are all in the field nearly every single day during this time off.
Yesterday at the CB city qualification bow shoot I talked with a few people that also take most of November off. Sure doesnt seem as though I am in the minority in this area. Growing up in my family meant you did not work the entire 2nd shotgun season each and every year. Lots and lots of tradition in this corner of the state! Sounds like an interesing poll I think!

Top Bottom