Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Frost seed

TallTines

I am looking for frost seed options right now.

This next year my farm I hunt will have corn standing all around where I would like to put food plots. So if I want to do food plots this year I will have to frost seed them.

I already have clover established so i am looking for other options besides clover.

I am looking for early and late season options.

What suggestions do you guys have?

Thanks
TT

Chicory is the only other one I know that can be frost seeded. If they get the corn out soon enough you will be able to put in some winter rye or wheat this fall. Or see if the farmer could plant some corn for you when he does his own. You can usually get year old corn at the local feed store really cheap.

I'm good with the corn. I'm probably going to pay the farmer to leave some standing.

Looking for some green to frost seed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for some green to frost seed. </div></div>

Clover and chicory are the only two that come to mind and you already have clover but maybe someone else has an idea?

Not to hijack the post but Im totally new to "frost seeding" and everyone I have mentioned it to in my area tells me Im wasting all my seed.

I want to do some frost seeding on a new piece of property that I have access to. The problem is, I JUST got permission. The area I want frost seed the chicory into is an old field with just long grass in it. I can probably get the mower in there as soon as the snow is gone and before ground unthaws to much but usually that grass from last year is bent over and matted down and a mower isnt going to do much good. I dont think the owner would be too impressed with me burning it either?

So, what should I do?

Dean
PS Sorry to hijack your thread Talltines

Ask the owner about burning and have your plan ready so he knows what you are doing (or can fake it). I wonder how you are going to control the grass because mowing or burning isn't going to kill it. You'll get germination but competition will be a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pharmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ask the owner about burning and have your plan ready so he knows what you are doing (or can fake it). I wonder how you are going to control the grass because mowing or burning isn't going to kill it. You'll get germination but competition will be a problem. </div></div>

I agree with pharmer...you need to do something with that grass?

Possible to spray it with Select or Poast Plus later maybe but I can't say how well it's all going to work compared to having killed the sod first with Roundup and having it mowed/burned prior to seeding.

Check thru the Clover thread but Select herbicide seems to yield better results for grass control then Poast Plus.

So okay while we're on the subject, I have some pasture ground that I want to plant in clover...I can go out in March and throw out the clover seed, and the clover will come up in the spring? Can I lay down lime and fertilizer as well when I frost seed?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SEIowaDeerslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So okay while we're on the subject, I have some pasture ground that I want to plant in clover...I can go out in March and throw out the clover seed, and the clover will come up in the spring? Can I lay down lime and fertilizer as well when I frost seed? </div></div>

Yes...we frost seed clover into cattle pasture all the time. Works best if it was grazed close last fall.

They have been liming and applying potash on fields going into soybeans for several weeks now. We have mixed clover seed with fertilizer and spread it on together on big pastures in March.

We usually throw the clover in the mixer for fertilizer in the spring to go to pasture. It works good. If you are going to put urea on your pasture, just have the co-op or service company where you get your nitrogen mix in the clover when they are mixing your batch of fertilizer.

Silly question, but if you innoculate the seed yourself, or even buy it innocutlated will the innoculant get knocked off in the mixer?

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Silly question, but if you innoculate the seed yourself, or even buy it innocutlated will the innoculant get knocked off in the mixer?

The 'Bonker </div></div>

If you mix it up as a "slurry" and then mix it with the seed it will stick real nice! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

If it's put on commercially it's more like a hard coating.

Just don't try to use it "dry".... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just don't try to use it "dry".... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

Ahhh, I forgot the water part.

Thanks.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just don't try to use it "dry".... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

Ahhh, I forgot the water part.

Thanks.

The 'Bonker </div></div>

You can also use soda as a "sticker"...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the rush of planting it is sometimes easy just to load the grain drill with seed and simply dump the peat product on top assuming it will work its way through the seed and into the soil as you move across the field. This approach can prove to be a costly mistake. In reality, the peat works its way down to the bottom of the seed box and moves little beyond that point. To obtain uniform seed coverage, the most effective method is to use a "sticker" and mix the inoculant with a volume of seed that is manageable to accomplish good coverage. This may mean mixing at three or four different times during the course of filling the seed box.

Many products can be used as a sticker. One cheap and effective approach is to purchase an off-brand two liter bottle of citrus soda and punch several pin holes in the top of the cap. The container can then be used similar to a spray bottle. Apply a small amount of soda over the top of the seed prior to adding the inoculant and then mix thoroughly using an elbow length latex glove making sure every seed is covered. By doing so, the problem of having the inoculant sit at the bottom of the seed box is eliminated.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pharmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I can find mint seed and inoculate it with bourbon- can I grow my own juleps? :) </div></div>

I'm not sure, I'd have to sample the bourbon first before I could give you an answer, honest or otherwise.

The 'Bonker

I am planning on frost seeding when the snow melts in march.

My question is if i am going to frost seed into crp grass should I over seed?

Say that 3-4 lbs of clover = 1 acre. Should I double it for frost seeding or would it stay the same?

Top Bottom