Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Frost seeding clover

StucknAz

I planted a couple plots in various perineal clover this past week.( alice, aberlasting, ladino along with some red) With the lack of rain I'm hoping for some germ but it's really bad in souther Ohio. What clover blends tend to take best for frost seeding? Do you run the same blend or diff?

Above will work great to frost seed. You can frost seed any of the perennials. The annuals are the ones that don't take to frost seeding, perhaps with a couple exceptions.

Above will work great to frost seed. You can frost seed any of the perennials. The annuals are the ones that don't take to frost seeding, perhaps with a couple exceptions.
What about a coated vs non coated seed. I saw where a whitetail institute spokesman said need a coated seed for drostseeding due to seed rot. Is this true or is he just marketing?

Got solid rain this morning!

What about a coated vs non coated seed. I saw where a whitetail institute spokesman said need a coated seed for drostseeding due to seed rot. Is this true or is he just marketing?

Got solid rain this morning!
I recently watched a YouTube video on clover, and they said do not use whitetail institute for frost seeding because of a type of clover they use. They said 30% will not germinate if you use their product for this. I always use whitetail institute clover but don't think I'll frost seed it again. Anyone else heard this?

I recently watched a YouTube video on clover, and they said do not use whitetail institute for frost seeding because of a type of clover they use. They said 30% will not germinate if you use their product for this. I always use whitetail institute clover but don't think I'll frost seed it again. Anyone else heard this?

Berseem. Doesn’t typically frost seed well.

Any of the reds (not crimson) and perennial white clovers (ladino, alice, etc.) all work well for frost seeding.

Whitetail institute makes a good product. Understand you are paying for like 40% inert matter (coating) which I don't think is needed at all when done right. So you are paying something crazy like $15/lb for actual seed.

Top Bottom