Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Full Strutt Toms

Ghost

Life Member
Kind of slow in here this afternoon so I thought I would tell you what I saw last night.

I was heading down the gravel towards home after work yesterday, and I always check this field by my house for critters.

This field has two big fingers of timber coming out into it and it makes a cove. All the animals must feel real safe with thier easy escape route because I almost always see deer, turkeys, coyotes, and foxes.

Anyway, last night there were two huge toms side by side in full strutt in the beans on June the 3rd.

Has anyone else witnessed this very often this late in the year?
bigshock.gif

Maybe its not that uncommon?

This year more than any I have seen a bunch of toms still in breeding mode. It is bad enough during the season. Adding another month onto gauking while driving just steers the odds in my wifes direction saying that some day I am going to end up in the ditch.

"Pull over if you want to gauk..." Yadda yadda yadda.

Truth be told it really is a bad habit...
nono.gif

I saw some struttin just a few days ago and once every great while I'll catch one fuzzed up during deer season. Those ones in the fall didn't stay puffed up very long, maybe a few seconds at most, so maybe they were just rearranging their feathers or something.

ive seen them in full strut before during bow season and during late muzzleloader so i think they just kind of do it whenever they are feeling in the mood, i usually hear them almost every clear morning during bow season where i hunt so i dont know, is cool to see though whenever you get to see it!!

...my father-in-law told me the toms on his ground are gobbling just as hard as ever...

...as for the fall strutters - I have heard that the spring mating urge in toms is caused by the length of daylight hours. Since October/November daylight hours are nearly identical to April daylight hours the boys sometimes get confused...same thing happens in rooster pheasants and their cackling...

Saw one in full strut about 6:00 this evening. He was with a few other toms heading for some feeding hens. Saw some little poults just getting their wing feathers the other day.

Toms are still strutting in Central Iowa but they are out of luck- Saw a hen with her chicks the day before Mem. Day.

Top Bottom