Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fun with fire...

TimberPig

I've been wanting to burn my little 3 acre patch of Cave-In-Rock switchgrass this spring but wasnt able to until Wednesday night. This planting is 3 years old and was in pretty good shape but had a few weeds here and there that I hoped burning might supress. It was a little windier than I wanted but with the help of Buck10 and my dad we were able to do a nice slow back-burn. I bushogged a 15' perimeter of switch ahead of time and that really helped to control the fire as there were some red cedars nearby that I didnt want to kill. The mowed grass slowed the fire alot, however we noticed that once that mulch started to burn it was difficult to put out as it tended to burn underneath and the water couldnt reach it. I recommend bushogging the fireline, just dont let too much of it catch fire or you'll have a hell of a time putting it out.
A couple ATV sprayers and my new backpack sprayer worked just fine to stop it where we wanted. I also used a 3M Organic Vapor mask and that totally cut out the smoke when I needed to get in and spray, I couldnt even smell the smoke. I highly recommend that and I didnt have any of the "sore lung syndrome" the next day. Bucky didnt have a mask and he was hurting! Now I just need to figure out a system for protecting my eyes from the smoke and I'll be good to go, I have been considering swim goggles for a cheap solution. We also found that 2-way radios were handy when we needed to yell for help.
The next day I checked the area (mostly for sheds) and was pretty impressed by the erosion control that the CIR provided. I have considerable erosion in the cornfield just uphill from the CIR but in the planting you could still see the slight rows of dirt created by the drill 3 years ago. There was virtually no erosion at all since the planting.
Anyway, folks have been burning around here for quite a while and I felt like it was getting a little late for this. I know that switchgrass wont begin sprouting for awhile yet but the cool season grass (brome I assume) that lines the creek which divides this planting had greened up quite a bit in the last 2 weeks. The fire burned right through the brome and no doubt killed the new growth. I am hoping that it will come back OK. Any experience with that?

Brome grows from the base up, so even though you scorched the tips, you didn't kill it and it will continue to grow. It will be a little twisted for awhile. I still need to burn off because this rain has been messing me up.
1110CRP_burn2-med.jpg

Great post TP....I never thought about wearing a mask, but one sure would come in handy!! Sounds like the mowing sure helped, but that fire sure can "creep" thru the thatch can't it!
The brome will come back just fine on your ditch bank, and the root system will hold the soil until it greens up.
Switchgrass is amazing stuff, I wish all the miles of waterways around this state were planted to it instead of brome!
smirk.gif

TimberPig - 3M also makes a fullface airpurifer mask that covers the eyes and protects the lungs.

Great post. I burned off about 6 acres of canary grass 3 wks ago. I planted an acre of cedars in one area and the rest is going to RR beans this year and switchgrass next. That canary grass is a pain in the ars to kill.

Nice pic JNR. I thought about taking some pics but we did it in the dark and I didnt think they would turn out.
Shrek, I'll have to look around for that mask. The ones I have were already on hand, originally bought for work for a completely different purpose, just never used it. I noticed the next day that we hadnt even used the filters correctly and they still worked like a charm. Typical, read the directions after your done.
grin.gif

Baggin, I think you will really like the switch. Its easy to establish and easy to maintain, and makes fabulous cover. I wish I had alot more of it.

[ QUOTE ]
The mowed grass slowed the fire alot, however we noticed that once that mulch started to burn it was difficult to put out as it tended to burn underneath and the water couldnt reach it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took a hay rake and raked the mowed grass towards the area I was planning to burn. With only stubble, the fire breaks were fairly easy to control. A couple of laps with the hay rake saved a lot of manual effort and stress.

Awesome!! We just burned out grass 2 years ago, didn't really expect to burn it but the renters of our land did, it was needed though!

A hay rake would have been nice but we didnt have that option. When I am buring full scale in a couple years I may talk to the neighbor about using his. Seems like then all you would really have to worry about is wind carrying the fire over the break. Just sip suds and roast marshmallows!

Well, I debated on burning yesterday, as it was a little windy and I was solo, but that didn't stop me.
grin.gif
The riparian buffer strip runs east and west. The wind was from the south, blowing out into the bean field. I disced along the bean field and started the burn. I figured the creek would stop the fire from going south, especially since the wind was from the south. This is the first burn since I seeded it down. The switch is off to a slow start. I couldn't use herbicide as it isn't a straight switch seeding. There is some clover thrown in. Some of the clover was greening up, hope it bounces back from the fire. I've also got some canary grass creeping in.
mad.gif

I plan to finish burning next Saturday. The area I need to burn is now isolated on the north by yesterdays burn and gravel roads on two other sides. I'll start on the west end to protect the neighbors and then let her rip. There is 30 acres of corn stubble on that side that can burn as well.

I only had one little "pucker" event when the fire started to creep up a waterway towards the pond.
1110Getting_started-med.JPG
1110Half_way-med.JPG
1110Home_stretch-med.JPG
shocked.gif

Great pics guys, where does a fella find one of those masks? I am getting ready to clean out a dirt floor machine shed with a skid-loader, "lots of powdery dust in there" nasty stuff to breath. That mask sounds like the ticket. I'm on the local volunteer fire dept, so I know how it feels to "pucker up" when things get out of hand on a "controlled" burn.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Skully,
Most any hardware store or lumberyard will have a particulate mask for the dust at alot cheaper price then the ones for smoke or acid gases.

Been seeing lots of smoke on the horizon so I guess it must be the right time for burns! I saw one farmer that used a big heavy disc and went all the way around his switchgrass fields a few weeks ago, but he hasn't burned yet. Very flat fields so erosion won't be a problem. I would feel safer doing that at my place but I'd worry about it starting to wash. I like the hay rake idea though! No more "all by my lonesome" burns for me...my pucker hasn't recovered from the last time...
blush.gif

I too haven't recovered from the last fire. Problem was mine was unplanned. The wife had my son dump the ashes from the wood burner and at 2:45 am my wife wakes me up to tell me we have a fire. I look out the window and I'm sure something ran down my leg
grin.gif

The fire was racing towards the house. Call the F.D. and I met them with my little garden hose
grin.gif

I need to burn the rest off, but my pucker is still a little tight
blush.gif

mole

[ QUOTE ]
The switch is off to a slow start. I couldn't use herbicide as it isn't a straight switch seeding. There is some clover thrown in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think you could spray with 2-4DB and be ok? All I sprayed my switch with was regular 2-4D but I didnt have the clover to deal with. As thick as my CIR switch gets I couldnt imagine that clover would last long in it anyway. Is that NE28 switch?
As for the brome coming back from the fire, you guys were right, it is already greening up again.

Mole, if you need some help burning I would be happy to help if I'm available and Buck10 might be available too (he's a bit of a fire buff). I enjoy the burns anyway, especially on other peoples property where I dont have to worry so much!
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I would think you could spray with 2-4DB and be ok? All I sprayed my switch with was regular 2-4D but I didnt have the clover to deal with. As thick as my CIR switch gets I couldnt imagine that clover would last long in it anyway. Is that NE28 switch?

[/ QUOTE ]
I really don't know if it is CIR or NE28
confused.gif
I told my wife to run up to Welter seed and pick up some switch and clover. The ASCS/DNR suggested a mix as they are apt to do as of late. The clover provides cover until the switch takes over. I watched a really nice buck feed through the clover last summer (my friend Darren harvested him during shotgun, so I can see the value in the clover). As to spraying, I sold my sprayer last year, but I still own a match.
grin.gif

I went out last night to burn some more. I was rather disappointed yet happy. I was happy that I didn't set the county on fire as it was windy as all get out. I was disappointed in the burn I got. The fire never got to rolling as it sometimes does and thus it didn't burn through the thin areas. It left some stemmy areas standing.

One more section to burn tonight and I'm done. Things are greening up quite a bit so I'm right at the end of the burn window.

[ QUOTE ]
I enjoy the burns anyway, especially on other peoples property where I dont have to worry so much!
grin.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here...I figure I can always slip away...when the fire trucks are rolling up!
grin.gif

I've seen several cases where people planted clover and switch and the clover always took over...maybe burning would set the clover back?

Its hard to tell from your pics but I am guessing yours is NE28? I think the NE28 averages 2'-4' and CIR averages 4'-6'+. I'm sure there is probably a way to tell by looking at the plant itself, but that is beyond my knowledge. Anybody else know?
Cool buck your buddy shot btw, gnarly brows.

My guess would be that we have CIR or a mix. When we bought our farm, it was all seeded to switch. In some places, it was 7 foot tall. When the contract expired, like dang fools, we coverted it back to row crop. Then, we found out that the riparian areas were worth 3X the original contract rental rate, so we put them back in. In these areas, we never really did kill off the original switch, even with repeated Round-Up, atrazine, 2-4D and imidiazole treatments. So even if we reseeded with NE28, we most likely had some CIR carry over.

As far as a monoculture of switch, I'd rather have a weedy field. Besides cover, a pure switch stand doesn't offer a whole lot to deer. If the clover takes over in certain areas, I'm fine with that (as long as the DNR is, too). What a person might consider a weed, the deer might consider lunch.

Top Bottom