Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Getting knives sharpened in the Des Moines area

CamoMan

Is there a good place to get some of my knives sharpened in the Des Moines area? I have a nice diamond sharpening system on my Christmas list, but need to get some of my butchering knives sharpened now. I steel them as often as necessary, but I'm past the point of that helping much. Awhile back, someone on this site mentioned a place that sharpened them with lasers. I appreciate your input on this. Thanks !

Teeroy, you must not hit the mall very often. Remington has been gone for awhile now. FYI - I used to manage that store about 15 years ago, before I went into computer programming. Was kind of a neat place to work. However, when you sell knives, you meet some very 'interesting' people.

Fareway - do they sharpen knives as a service, or do you just know someone ?

well its been awhile that i took them to the mall, but i know it was less than 10 years ago.

i would think that any meat counter/butcher shop would do it. just be prepared for some odd looks when you walk in the store
wink.gif

RediEdge sharpener about $20.00 will make you very happy without hauling your knives around. It will get the edge angles back where they should be, then touch it up with your steel. And you can take it along on your outings. About the size of an ink pen. I have 3, 1 is on my key chain. The key chain ones are issued to the military. Oh yea, they work good on Zwickey broadheads too.

AGS

I bought a Lansky sharpening hone kit last year after Christmas and really like it. If I'd known how well it worked I'd have bought it a lot sooner.

The bad thing is all my hunting buddies and family know I've got it now and I sharpen A LOT of knives for them.

The $30 (or so) that it costs would be a good investment to make before the season.

the local hardware store was (i believe) $1.50 per knife last year. the edge was pretty sharp. trying to decide if i want to take mine in, or put in the time to do it myself, with the lansky

Top Bottom