Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Good knife sharpeners

J

jason

With all of the sharpeners out there, what would you say the best one is, and how easy is it to use?
thanks jason

I really like the Lansky sharpener. It holds your angle for you. Work best on modern blades with squar back edges in my opinion.
waytogo.gif

A friend of mine just got that. We sharpened one of his knifes, and it is really sharp . So i borrowed it from him so I could use it on my buck knife. After sharpening it for about a half an hour i had poor results. I tried the 20 degree angle, maybe that is the reason. It said 25 is best for hunting knifes and 20 for kitchen knifes. It seemed to work good on his so maybe i'll get it.. i'll see what other guys have to say.

If you do not have experience sharpening knifes read everything they have in side the box about achieving a good edge. This is a very good sharpening system. Good luck

I'M NOT SURE OF THE PROPER NAME BUT IT IS A FLAT STAINLESS STEEL BAR WITH DIAMOND DUST ON IT. WORK YOUR KNIFE JUST LIKE THE OLD DAYS ON A STONE. AWESOME RESULTS IN NO TIME. I GOT MINE AT CABELAS.....
893End-thumb[1].gif

I take mine to our local true value hardware store and they laser sharpen them for a buck a knife.It produces a very sharp blade.

Muddy, I agree that butcher steels keep the edge going for a long time on a good knife. However, eventually, it needs to be sharpened. The steel just keeps straightening out the metal that keeps folding over during use. Once it is too far gone, a new edge needs to be created. I used to sell knives and cutlery before I became a programmer. The Lansky sharpeners are very good. The stones that Moosehunter mentioned work great if you can hold the angle. Lansky takes care of that problem. Just avoid the can opener knife sharpeners. Any electric sharpeners can screw up the blade if they get too hot, or get the angle messed up. The Chef's Choice electric does a decent job, but again, use light pressure, and don't heat up the blade, or take off too much metal.

I bought my brother a Gatco and it is basicly the same thing as the Lansky. I will say this for the Gatco the stones are wider and the clamp that holds your blade seems to handle larger blades easier.

While skinning or breaking down an animal in the field I use an ACCUSHARP knife sharpener or a steel, but for the good durable lasting edge the knives go on the Lansky.

I bought an accusharp this year too. Ace Hardware carries them. They are $12 and work great. I used it on my gerber gator for deer, and my fillet knives. It's the first thing that seemed to work well, and especially in the field.

lansky is the way to go. the edge is is the sharpest iv ever seen thats is your sharping on ss i have a knife i made its made of tool steel the edge on that lasts longer than the pink bunny but cant sharpen it with a lansky though carbide works fast and effectivly on it though carbide will take half the life off it if its ss

Try your local sprorting goods store. I am sure you can get them from Cabelas. Possibly the New Sportsmans Warehouse in Ankeny, I'd bet they would have them.

Top Bottom