Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Got a bird, and I think I have a Merriam on tape!!

J

jason

Saturday, about 6:30, 3 jakes come right in to my decoy. I called them away from a 2 hens that were roosted with them. I didn't know they were coming, until one gobbled about 80 yards away on top of the hill. They came right in. the one I shot was in half strut looking right at my decoy. I got him right at 18 yards! He has two beards, I'm guessing he's a 2 year old bird. But its my second bird, but my first bird I actually called in by myself!
But later in the day, I went a long with my dad to try and bring in a bird to him in the after noon. We set up on the edge of a field, with me about 15 yards in the timber with the video camera. About 30 minutes of me calling, a bearded hen walks right up to the decoys, about 20 yards a way from my dad. I softly called to her, and she just kept walking towards my direction. She got with in 15 yards of me when I noticed her smoke gray complexion, and her band of birght white on the tip of her tail. I zoomed in with the camera, and I got an okay shot of her tail and the cooleration of her feathers. When she turned away from me I could see gray mixed in with white on the underside of her tail. I have about 15 minutes of her just on tape, so hopefully it's proof that there is a merriam bearded hen walking about in Van bruen county. I was just wondering if any of Merriams have been spotted in Iowa, exspecially in south east Iowa.
Good hunting

Jason v

Top Bottom