Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Great & Terrible Day !!

BJohnson

Well, I was extremely fortunate today in a couple respects. I shot this buck at high noon and it is most likely my best buck to date. However, I am pretty somber tonite as the guy who helped me retrieve the deer suffered some serious storm damage in this evenings tornados in Central Iowa. I never thought I could feel so down on the day I shot my biggest buck. I guess I was lucky to have avoided the storms as I had just left his place about 15-20 minutes before it hit.

Brent
343344.jpg

Very nice buck BJ. Maybe you can give us some windy day details later.

Bassed on news reports I extect your friend and his family came out of the ordeal unhurt, praise God for that.

The Story - shot at high noon 11/12/05. Had seen the buck about an 1-1/2 hrs. earlier chasing a doe across a sandbar. I had just stood up to take off my rain pants after an earlier shower. About the time I had my pants at my knees, I heard a snap and saw the buck coming. I turned slowly to grab my bow while trying not to fall out of the tree because my rain pants were at my knees. Grunted the buck to a stop and he stopped behind a tree. I was starting to shake and wavering on my legs from the unusual stance. Eventually he took another step into a shooting lane and I let go after grunting him to a stop again. Spined him and he dropped after losing his hind legs. He attempted to get up but could never get the rear legs to function. Nocked another arrow and hit him again. Finally got down and drilled him again from about 15 yards to end it.

Taped him out today at 136+ gross - 134+ net. Not quite the score I thought but I am happy none the less. Another photo from the sandbar before loading the canoe.

343346.jpg

Great looking deer ... certainly an unfortunate time for your friend but things will look up!
-Longspurs-

Brent,
Congrats on the great deer and talk about ups and downs in a matter of hours wow! Tell your friend our family has his in our prayers.

Nice deer! Sorry to hear about your friend's misfortune. Knowing Iowans, hopefully the community will pull togethor to help those affected.

Top Bottom