Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Greenhead Scores

Limb Chicken

A hard earned buck. Congrats buddy! I will let Greenhead fill you in on the details. Let's just say he has paid his dues and put in his time and it finally all came together for him on the 20th.
waytogo.gif

26nizolek-med.JPG

26nizolek2.jpg

Congrats, looks like a great buck. Must have been a wet one that day?
Nice picture.

Hello fellow Iowawhitetail.comers. This is Greenhead; I am making my first post ever on this site. This is the third year I have used this site, I want to complement all who have posted such beneficial information. I know this has helped improve my deer hunting. This is a great information source for the deer hunter.

Just a little background information about me. This is my 7th season bow hunting and only my second bow harvest. Several years ago I harvested a smaller 9-point buck and have always been in the trophy hunting mode. Now that I look back I wish I had shot some does earlier in my bow hunting life but it did not happen. I tell my story for all you who have not yet shot that trophy whitetail you have been dreaming about and give you some encouragement to never give up. Limb Chicken got me started in bow hunting, I have been hunting much of the same property he has over these 7 seasons without success. You have all seen what he has done and how much success he has had. He is a very good hunter and I want to thank him for getting me into this great pursuit and sharing so much knowledge with me. Last season was the first year I actually had a shot at a wall hanger. To make a long story short I had a 160†plus buck trot into my hunting hole, stop, get a drink in the creek 35 yards away presenting me with a broadside shot with his front leg forward. For some reason, the only time that season, I hung my bow on a different hanger and I could not get it off without reaching all the way around with both hands to get it off. By the time I got the bow off the deer was back on the trot. I had one last shooting lane at 30 yards, I got him to stop, let the arrow fly only to have it hit a branch, deflect and smack the big boy in the rear ham. Very poor shot and unfortunately it did not hit the femoral artery. I tracked that deer over two different days. Never found the arrow or the deer. We think Limb saw that same deer during muzzleloader season looking very unharmed.

THE HUNT. On Saturday, November 20th I headed out to the same area I got the shot the previous year. With a northwest wind it put me on the south side of a grassy hole within a timbered funnel between two good-sized timbers, which are prime doe bedding areas. I was up in the stand getting the final touches on having all the necessary gear ready to go. At 6:45a.m. I looked to the north to see a real heavy 8-point buck come into the area but he never presented a shot. He kept himself protected by staying in the small saplings around the hole. Then 30 minutes later I have small 7 point come through checking things out. I think to myself, “this is going to be a good morning with this early buck activity.†But then I did not see a deer until about 8 o’clock. All of the sudden I have a 10 point come into the hole. He started walking around doing some heavy duty sniffing. I started to count the points and check him out in the binocs. Really nice buck, not a monster but I considered him a trophy. He wandered around in the hole for several minutes, never presenting less than a 40-yard shot. Next thing I know his ears go back, his hair bristles, the stiff leg walk kicks in and he is starting to do the march to a small knoll that is full of saplings. I look in that direction to see the shine of bright white. I get the binoculars on him; it is a really wide, heavy 8-point with not much tine length. Then I look beyond the 8 point and I now see two small 6 points. It is starting to get real exciting. By this time I was already standing with bow in hand and had decided I would take the 10-point if he presented a shot. The 10-point then starts running all three of these deer around in the hole while paying particular attention to the 8 point. The 8-point wanted nothing to do with him. Next I watched as one of the 6 points comes to within 10 yards of my stand. This then sends the 10-point in my direction as he was attempting to get the youngster out of his territory. With all this activity the 10 point is now 5 yards or so away almost directly under my stand. As I watch him I hope he does not proceed directly downwind of my stand. Luckily he heads back out into the hole and starts to challenge the 8-point again following him. This brought both deer out to a 35/40-yard shot. I was pulled back but decided to wait for a little closer shot without the deer moving. The 8-point then heads up a hill away from me and now I am thinking, “ I should have taken the shot when I had it.†Next there was a cracking of a large stick from one of the other bucks, which spooked the 10-point and made him run for a short distance to within 20/25 yards of me behind some saplings. I don’t have a shot through the saplings but I again have the bow pulled back and am waiting for him to proceed forward 5 yards into a clear shooting lane. He takes two steps, stops and then is looking to the north at the 8-point, which is now on a small knoll looking at him. I have the 20-yard pin on him I look and he is still somewhat obstructed with small branches but as I looked I could see a small diamonded shaped opening through the branches. I said, “ I need to take this shot, it doesn’t get any better, he is 22 yards broadside with his head turned totally opposite of me as he looks at the 8 point, if he moves back to the east I will never get a shot.†I let the arrow fly, I hear the thud of the 100 grain Montec strike the buck just behind the front shoulder and I see the impact spot get very red. The deer takes off like a madman going directly to the west, I watch him as long as I can see him. I am very pumped up knowing I made a great shot and I suspect the buck will expire shortly. I look down trying to find the arrow and I cannot see it from the stand. I wait with eager anticipation for some time to expire before I get down to inspect the impact site. I reach the site and find just a small amount of blood. A little discouraged with the lack of blood I start to follow his trail to the last spot I saw him that was about 100 yards. Still the blood trail was small spots with only a few traces here and there. So I go back to the tree and collect my thoughts for a moment. I then decide what I should do is go along the edge of the unpicked corn field which surrounds the small timber draw I am in and look for a blood trail coming out of the woods. As I am walking to the west as far as I can go before I have to go to the north, I turn the corner and first thing I see is a body of a deer laying flat on the ground but I cannot see the rack. As I get closer the rack becomes evident and I give several pumps of the fist as I reach the place where the deer exited the woods the blood trail is very strong and it went like this for 30 yards to the spot he expired. I call Limb on the cell phone to tell him of the good news. I think he was almost more excited then I was. He then made the trip to the woods with his 4-wheeler and we took the buck to the where the truck was parked for a few photos and the telling of the story.

If you are a hunter who has not scored on that trophy for quite a long period of time, don’t give up. Continue to be persistent, educate yourself as much as you can and I believe your luck can change too!

Bow: Mathews MQ-32, Arrow: Easton 2315 Lite, Broadhead: 100 grain Montec.
Buck Gross Score: 135†10 point.

Top Bottom