Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Grey Wolf Wolfskin or Heater Body Suit

The great thing about Jeff is that he's totally lenient with what you want. I thought up a few things that he didn't offer (cell phone pocket inside left breast, pocket flaps on the pullover, extra draw strings) I just mentioned them and he did them. Awesome stuff. Here are some pics of my unlined stuff as well. Only things you need are double butt, double knee, and the arm guard straps, I prefer three.

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0858.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG

IMG_0856.JPG

IMG_0855.JPG

IMG_0854.JPG

I would also add that Jeff is swamped and if you don't get a hold of him leave a message. He will get back to you. It may take him a while but he will call you back. It is worth the wait. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

If I could add something to my Grey Wolf it would be a grunt call pocket on my pull over and a hammer loop on my bibs to hook my seat cushion to. I hook a carabiener through the velcro loop on the cushion and then I'd hook it through the hammer loop. I bet if I sent them in I could get them added.

As far as layers, like I said in an earlier post, I was born cold and have never warmed up so in 30 degree weather sitting in a tree stand I have 2 layers of UA cold gear (the skin tight stuff and a 1.0 base layer) then another pair of wicking long johns that I don't remember the brand name. My Grey Wolfs only have the comfort max with out the lite loft. I have wool under gloves and light jersy kinda gloves. I have the hand pouch on my pull over and I have hand warmers in there. I wear a stocking hat and a full head/face cover. For my feet I wear a pair of polypropyline socks, a very heavy pair of socks and the heavy alpha burly boots. If I have to walk too far (>1/4 mile)I get way too hot but the clothes all breath good enough that the moisture wicks away. Another thing I would like to have is a hood on my pull over but then I would be unable to wear a harness.

Another thing, I gutted my deer this year with my Grey Wolfs on. Of course I got blood and guts all over them. When I got inside my wife sprayed the spots with something called Awesome, threw 'em in the washer and the the blood and crap came right out. Don't know if it was the fabric that was easy to clean or the Awesome or a combination, but they look good as new.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GOLD TIP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love the full length zippers on the bibs!!! Worth every penny! </div></div>

Holy crap bud, that's something I completely forgot about. Being able to slip the bibs on and off around giant boots IS awesome.

Now, a moment of silence for all the plants and animals killed in the making of GOLDTIP's 5XL sized gigantor garments. I think three small Indonesian children were fatigued in the mixing of the paint for the camo pattern.

OK, that last part is horrible, but admit it, you smiled and shook your head.

In all truthfulness guys, if I spent more time hunting November I'd be biting the bullet on them. Everything I have ever heard is good and theyy look great.

Limb,..I'd never go with unlined stuff. Would stuff that is lined be too hot for those early Oct. evenings where the temps are anywhere from 25-45?

Do the jackets and pullovers have a slit for the safety strap to thread through up top, or do you just let it come out of the top behing your neck.

Because I'm wanting to stay warm during the colder/windier times of November, I'm leaning toward getting comfortmax and liteloft in both the jacket or pullover and bibs. If I'm paying this much for stuff, I'd rather have overkill than not be warm enough.

Anybody else have any recommendations for extra features they like? So far I'm going to go with a grunt tube pocket, 3 sleeve straps on the bow arm, and double butt and double knees. Any other suggestions?

Muddy, how much do you like the extra pull cinch strap at your chest?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Limb,..I'd never go with unlined stuff. Would stuff that is lined be too hot for those early Oct. evenings where the temps are anywhere from 25-45? </div></div>

Lined with comfort max would be perfect for those temps. I use the unlined mainly for turkey season around here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do the jackets and pullovers have a slit for the safety strap to thread through up top, or do you just let it come out of the top behing your neck.
</div></div>

I just run mine between my neck and coat but that is a great idea and Jeff would put a slit in for you no problem if you asked. This stuff is 100 percent custom he cuts the fabric for each suit so any custom stuff you want he will do. As a matter of fact I may have him do the safety harness slit to mine that is a great idea.

I must of been born hot. Cold weather only seems to affect my hands. It seems whether it is 40 degrees or 10 below I wear a woolrich coat from Walmart and a pair of field and stream bibs. However, after the last 4 seasons they are starting to get worn out.

Im a huge goretex fan, is the GWW completely waterproof/ windproof? If I sat in a pouring rain for 4 hours, will it get wet?

I will say one thing, not really related to this, but my best investment has been those army mickey mouse boots. I have tried danners, rocky, rubber boots of every kind and my feet would get numbing cold, and then I would freeze. Since I bought these I haven't found a temperature in Iowa yet, where I can't get away with wearing nothing more than a thick pair of carhartt socks. Just thought I would put this out there for a few other folks that might get cold feet. The only bad thing about them is you don't get great traction, but your feet will not get cold on those long sits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LIV4RUT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> is the GWW completely waterproof/ windproof? If I sat in a pouring rain for 4 hours, will it get wet?

...has been those army mickey mouse boots. </div></div>

I was in a steady rain for 2-3 hours on the day I shot my buck this year and I stayed dry. Like I said though, it wasn't a toad strangler, just a steady rain. If I had to guees it was a rain that would have amounted to about .01-.05 of an inch per hour. In the past I have been in winds of 20+ and I have not felt the wind. I have not been in the rain and strong wind at the same time.

I hear a lot of folks that like thses boots. Are they the ones you blow air into? They are pretty inexpensive too. I think they have them in the Sportsmans warehouse catalog.

As cold as I get I'm thinkin a HBS and my GWWs and my longies may keep me warm above 15 degrees.

The 'Bonker

Fish bonker,

They are the ones you blow air into. I think they are about $70 bucks, but the best $70 bucks you will ever spend. They look like they would be bulky and cumbersome, but they really aren't at all.

I would make sure to go to an army surplus store to try a pair on. I think their sizes run a little big. For instance, I typically wear a size 14 tennis shoe, a 13EE boot, and 12R in the mickey mouse boots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GOLD TIP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love the full length zippers on the bibs!!! Worth every penny! </div></div>

Holy crap bud, that's something I completely forgot about. Being able to slip the bibs on and off around giant boots IS awesome.

Now, a moment of silence for all the plants and animals killed in the making of GOLDTIP's 5XL sized gigantor garments. I think three small Indonesian children were fatigued in the mixing of the paint for the camo pattern.

OK, that last part is horrible, but admit it, you smiled and shook your head. </div></div>

Need a moment of silence for the amount of hours I had to work to pay for them, and the beers I HAD to drink at the classic after the sticker shock. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Well worth the money though. If I look back at the money I paid for camo every 1 or two years, I would be way ahead. Just wish I would have heard about GWW sooner!!
Muddy, I did get a chuckle out of that one. Those poor animals and children!!!

I vote for the heater body suit!!! I bought the bullet this year and only wish i had done it years ago. I also got one for my 10 year old son who is growing like a weed, we put some additional straps inside to adjust for his growing frame as the smallest suit they offer is for 5ft 7in,he is 4ft something and loves his. He had no problem arrowing a nice 8 pointer and the bag conceals the youthful fidgets not to mention we will not have to buy new heavy camo for him every year for the next several years. The only drawback is getting into it on stand but, with a little practice it becomes easier. The best part for me is dressing for october weather and walking in without sweating and once on stand and in the suit staying toasty warm without the bulk in frigid temps. And yes it is very easy to shoot out of without any unnecessary movement. I am sold on this product.

Buzz - I really like it. I had my stuff made a touch big so I could layer under it if I needed to. Since I only have to layer in weather like we have right now I use the extra cinch straps to cinch the stuff down around my waist. I think Jeff charged $15 for each extra strap I put in. If you ever want to see the stuff let me know and we could meet up somewhere... probably not far from my house unfortunately because in three days I'll be full time daddy day care.

LIV - I've been really surprised at how water resistant the GWW stuff is. It's not advertised as "water proof" but as 'Bonker said it does a GREAT job in mist up through light rain. Wind is also not much of a concern anymore. I believe I only have the windstopper lining in my stuff and with some underarmour cold gear and a few other layers I didn't have much of a problem today in the 25-30 mph winds. In fact last two years I attribute my bow kills to being able to stick it out in very high and cold winds.

It's great stuff and I will order more at The Classic. Sheds light rain and mist well but in heavy stuff it will get soaked. Love my pull over and bibs I will order a loaded coat for the nastiest cold.

Another HUGE GWW fan here. I've been wearing virtually all the GWW gear for about 8 or 9 years now.

Here is what I recommend if you are going to buy one suit. Wolfskin with comformax lining. I bought a set of polartech 300 weight fleece pants and a coat at Campmore for about $60.00 (total) and layer under my camo when it gets cold. Wearing the fleece under the GWW's stuff keeps me warm to about 20 degrees (and I'm a baby). When it get's colder than that, I switch to my GWW wool coat and the fleece under it. It will keep me warm to about 0 degrees.

My problem is with my hands and feet. Feet mostly. I could handle -20 degree temps if it wasn't for my stupid feet that just get cold, even with heat packs in my boots.

GWW's can't be beat IMO for bowhunting. Add the advantage of Predator or Intrusion Treeline camo - and it's the best stuff made for serious hunters - period!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WKP - Todd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

My problem is with my hands and feet. Feet mostly. I could handle -20 degree temps if it wasn't for my stupid feet that just get cold, even with heat packs in my boots.
</div></div>

You and me both brother. I finally broke down and got a pair of those insulated boot covers this year. I did some all dayers with them in cold, wind and even rain and my feet were as dry and warm as when I got on stand. Zero hint of cold. They're bulky as can be but man were those enjoyable hunts.

Top Bottom