Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gun oil / lube

Shovelbuck

In what seemed an endless quest to find a good gun oil to replace Sperm whale oil. I've come up with Jojoba oil. I've been testing it for around five years with great results.
As an external wood stock and steel oil, it adds a nice luster to the wood and steel parts that stays on from use to use. I also oil the inside of my muzzleloader barrels with it and am not experiencing any rust or sticky residue like you can get with petroleum based products.
So far, the only slightly negative I've found is it has a tendency to stiffen up in extreme cold. For that reason, I don't use large amounts of it on the internal lock parts in late winter.
Jojoba oil is inexpensive and can be found on numerous online outlets.
I used whale oil for a lot of years and it is the absolute best there is, but it's getting about impossible to locate since the ban of 1971. This Jojoba seems to be the next best thing.
Just thought I'd pass it along.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jojoba_oil

Just my experience, your mileage may vary.;)

You mean to tell me that there's something else out there other than RemOil!? Haha, jk, I'm not that ignorant. But, I never would have thought whale oil was the way to go... Interesting, to say the least.

hoofline.gif

Jay,

Where can we purchase this JojobaJ oil at?

I hate using petroleum based products on my muzzleloading firearms. And I have been out of what little bit of whale oil I had for years now.

hoofline.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom