Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Habitat Improvement

Ghost

Life Member
For those of you lucky enough to be a private land owner,
what are some projects you have completed to improve your deer habitat?

Does your land provide all these components of good deer habitat?
grin.gif

Refuge
Escape cover
Bedding cover
Thermal cover
Winter browse
Green browse
Green forage
Hard mast
Soft mast
Summer water
Salt

Refuge is simply areas, which are protected from disturbance. It is probably not helpful to establish areas that are never hunted, but it can be helpful to establish areas that are seldom disturbed. Posting of signs, or just making informal agreement with your hunting partners, may be enough to establish a refuge.

Escape cover is cover that is so thick that deer feel secure enough that they will stay hidden even when hunters walk directly upwind. Good escape cover can only be penetrated by hunters willing to make extraordinary efforts. These areas are usually in blocks of 4 acres or more, and will usually be avoided by hunters. Sight radii are very short. The best cover is all but impenetrable.

Bedding cover is cover that has rather short sight radius. Bedded or standing deer are difficult or impossible to see at ranges of more than 40 yards, even in the winter. The best bedding areas are located in areas that are seldom disturbed by humans or dogs, and may be from ¼ to ½ mile from prime open feeding areas.

Thermal cover is red cedar or evergreen tree thickets, where deer can bed on extremely cold nights, when exposure to the clear sky causes them to have excessive loss of body heat. These areas are most effective if they are protected from ground level winds and are several acres in size. Some ground level brushiness is a bonus.

Winter browse is woody twig growth of certain preferred species of trees and shrubs, which are within easy reach of deer. The most important species are walnut, oak, and ash.

Green browse is woody twig and leaf growth that is within easy reach of deer during the growing season. Preferred species are mulberry, greenbrier, black berries, dogtooth violets,

Green forage are such crops or food plot plants such as alfalfa, clover, rape, turnips, wheat, rye, corn, beans etc. This forage is usually provided by crop fields and food plots, but can also be supplied in some situations by supplemental feeding in piles or by mechanical spreaders. Since these methods are considered baiting during the hunting season, care must be taken that supplemental feeding does not occur during the hunting season or at places that are going to be hunted.

Hard Mast is most commonly acorns, which are sought after by deer when they are available, usually in the early fall. Since most oak trees bear acorns in cycles, with bumper crops only occurring every four to six years for most species, it is important that you have as many different species of oaks as possible. The more species of oaks your timber contains, the less often you will have “dry years” without any acorns.

The total quantity of hard mast is also important. The oak trees in unmanaged timbers are crowded together so closely, that the total acorn crop is dramatically reduced. Managed timbers can be thinned in such a way as to greatly increase total acorn production. If your timber has a large crop, and your neighbor’s timber has a small acorn crop, guess where all the deer are going to end up when the neighbor runs out of acorns.

Hard mast also includes other nut species such as pignut, bitternut, shagbark hickory and pecan. Deer will readily eat these nuts if acorns are scarce. They utilize the smaller nuts such as pignut, bitternut and pecan quite readily, but use shagbark and shellbark only with the greatest difficulty.

Soft Mast includes such very attractive species such as apple, pear and mulberry. I also class honey locust (thorny locust) pods as soft mast. All of these soft mast species are very desirable food items for deer and should be encouraged.

Honey locust is a special problem. This tree can be extremely thorny, and is a very unpopular and widely hated tree because of its long nasty and dangerous thorns. On the other hand, honey locust pods make valuable deer and turkey fodder. As a compromise, many landowners kill the thorniest trees and save the trees with fewer or no thorns.

Summer water is considered non-essential by many biologists, but highly desirable, especially in times of drought and heat. Deer can normally get all the moisture they need from the forage that they eat, but will readily utilize liquid water when it is available. Streams, springs and ponds can provide this added attraction.

Salt is another item that is not essential for deer survival, but can be very attractive to deer, especially in the spring and the summer. Since it is illegal to hunt over a salt lick, it is important that any salt be placed in areas that will not be hunted. Removing the block before the season is not enough, since the salt will remain in the soil and continue to be attractive, and therefore illegal to hunt over.

[ QUOTE ]
Refuge is simply areas, which are protected from disturbance. It is probably not helpful to establish areas that are never hunted, but it can be helpful to establish areas that are seldom disturbed. Posting of signs, or just making informal agreement with your hunting partners, may be enough to establish a refuge.
<font color="blue"> I have areas that I never go into except for shed hunting</font>

Escape cover is cover that is so thick that deer feel secure enough that they will stay hidden even when hunters walk directly upwind. Good escape cover can only be penetrated by hunters willing to make extraordinary efforts. These areas are usually in blocks of 4 acres or more, and will usually be avoided by hunters. Sight radii are very short. The best cover is all but impenetrable.
<font color="blue"> This is where my chainsaw comes in handy. I make a nasty mess tipping trees over, letting light in so vines and "thorns" of all types invade </font>

Bedding cover is cover that has rather short sight radius. Bedded or standing deer are difficult or impossible to see at ranges of more than 40 yards, even in the winter. The best bedding areas are located in areas that are seldom disturbed by humans or dogs, and may be from ¼ to ½ mile from prime open feeding areas.
<font color="blue"> I've found my NWSG and creating some brush covered hillsides work well for bedding areas </font>

Thermal cover is red cedar or evergreen tree thickets, where deer can bed on extremely cold nights, when exposure to the clear sky causes them to have excessive loss of body heat. These areas are most effective if they are protected from ground level winds and are several acres in size. Some ground level brushiness is a bonus.

<font color="blue">Planting red cedars as fast as I can
grin.gif
</font>

Winter browse is woody twig growth of certain preferred species of trees and shrubs, which are within easy reach of deer. The most important species are walnut, oak, and ash.

<font color="blue">more chain saw work to 1/2 cut trees and create browse </font>

Green browse is woody twig and leaf growth that is within easy reach of deer during the growing season. Preferred species are mulberry, greenbrier, black berries, dogtooth violets,
<font color="blue">after creating openings I like to take a bag of high nitrogenlawn fertilizer in and give the "browse a boost"
waytogo.gif
</font>

Green forage are such crops or food plot plants such as alfalfa, clover, rape, turnips, wheat, rye, corn, beans etc. This forage is usually provided by crop fields and food plots, but can also be supplied in some situations by supplemental feeding in piles or by mechanical spreaders. Since these methods are considered baiting during the hunting season, care must be taken that supplemental feeding does not occur during the hunting season or at places that are going to be hunted.
<font color="blue"> Got that one covered
grin.gif
</font>

Hard Mast is most commonly acorns, which are sought after by deer when they are available, usually in the early fall. Since most oak trees bear acorns in cycles, with bumper crops only occurring every four to six years for most species, it is important that you have as many different species of oaks as possible. The more species of oaks your timber contains, the less often you will have “dry years” without any acorns.
<font color="blue">I make sure never to cut mast trees and I plant hybrid oaks and chestnuts to provide mast in the future </font>

The total quantity of hard mast is also important. The oak trees in unmanaged timbers are crowded together so closely, that the total acorn crop is dramatically reduced. Managed timbers can be thinned in such a way as to greatly increase total acorn production. If your timber has a large crop, and your neighbor’s timber has a small acorn crop, guess where all the deer are going to end up when the neighbor runs out of acorns.
<font color="blue"> TSI (chainsaw!) </font>

Hard mast also includes other nut species such as pignut, bitternut, shagbark hickory and pecan. Deer will readily eat these nuts if acorns are scarce. They utilize the smaller nuts such as pignut, bitternut and pecan quite readily, but use shagbark and shellbark only with the greatest difficulty.

<font color="blue"> What if I'm the only guy with chestnuts...at one time the favored mast over ALL others!
bigshock.gif
</font>

Soft Mast includes such very attractive species such as apple, pear and mulberry. I also class honey locust (thorny locust) pods as soft mast. All of these soft mast species are very desirable food items for deer and should be encouraged.

<font color="blue"> Still working on soft mast...although if you count honey locust...I'm set forever!
grin.gif
</font>

Honey locust is a special problem. This tree can be extremely thorny, and is a very unpopular and widely hated tree because of its long nasty and dangerous thorns. On the other hand, honey locust pods make valuable deer and turkey fodder. As a compromise, many landowners kill the thorniest trees and save the trees with fewer or no thorns.

<font color="blue"> I just kill the ones in the fields or where I need to make an opening...no chance of them going extinct
smirk.gif
</font>

Summer water is considered non-essential by many biologists, but highly desirable, especially in times of drought and heat. Deer can normally get all the moisture they need from the forage that they eat, but will readily utilize liquid water when it is available. Streams, springs and ponds can provide this added attraction.

<font color="blue"> I have a pond on each place and the deer beat a path to them! </font>

Salt is another item that is not essential for deer survival, but can be very attractive to deer, especially in the spring and the summer. Since it is illegal to hunt over a salt lick, it is important that any salt be placed in areas that will not be hunted. Removing the block before the season is not enough, since the salt will remain in the soil and continue to be attractive, and therefore illegal to hunt over.

<font color="blue"> Try to always keep mineral out in spots I don't hunt near </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! That's an excellent post which pretty much covers what any landowner should be striving for. So many variables besides just a food plot or a mineral lick.
Thanks for listing the details of Habitat Improvement Ghost.
waytogo.gif

I'm totally jealous of you guys that have your own land. Kudos to you for working hard to acheive the dream and kudos for all the hard work. That is my #1 dream right now, to own something, in all honestly all the things listed come naturally here except for the hard mast and the green forage. The timber itself is set up perfectly with all of the necessities, now I just have to buy a chunk, rip a piece of it up and plant something good.

Once again, congrats on your hard work everyone. Now I can go back to dreaming.
frown.gif

Thanks Ghost. That should help me explain to 'Young Doe' why Ive been going to the farm 1-4 days per week to work my but off from dawn to dusk for the last eight years.

It sure is fun watch the habitat develop!
grin.gif

Old Buck

Yeah Larry, but that is a lot of fun working your butt off when you look back and see the results! I'm sure "Young Doe" understands after that many years!
grin.gif

Refuge - Certain areas of my ground I try to never step foot in.

Escape cover - This is one that I really need to improve upon. I have completed a lot of saw work but it could be a lot better.

Bedding cover - The ridges dropping off into the creek bottom make great bedding sites. I plan to make these areas a bit more "brushy".

Thermal cover - I have about 20 acres that is real thick with Red Cedar.

Winter browse - Hopefully a big TSI project that is booked for next January will provide more browse in the future.

Green browse - Once again, this should be a big boom as a result of the TSI project.

Green forage - This is a component that my ground lacked and was a top priority this Spring. New food plot is finished.

Hard mast - I am lucky to have some great mature Oak as well as many different species of Oaks for acorn production. The TSI should make this twice as good as it is now.

Soft mast - Some mulberry does exist, but this is one of the holes in the bucket I need to plug. Maybe some apple trees and wildgrape could be a future project.

Summer water - Pond and a creek that runs right up the center of my ground. The water is one I don't have to worry about.

Salt - Have established several mineral/salt sites over the last five years.

Habitat improvement is a never ending process for me. Regardless of how good it currently is, I think there are always things to do or ways to make it better.

One guy I know was looking to improve "escape cover" and dropped every single tree in a four acre area.

Talk about a mess...
waytogo.gif

Does your land provide all these components of good deer habitat?

Refuge: Need to establish this. I have the perfect area if I'd leave 6 acres of corn stand and then never set foot in it. Edged with cedars would really cap it off!
Escape cover: Don't really have any, possibly the switch grass riparian buffer strips along the brushy draws.
Bedding cover: One little spot they really like, couple of other places I can usually find them.
Thermal cover: Nope, they go to the neighbors when it gets really cold.
Winter browse: Orchard
frown.gif
Left over ag "waste" grain.
Green browse: Orchard
frown.gif
Brush in creek bottom and fence lines.
Green forage: Ag crops (corn, beans, alfalfa, clover).
Hard mast: Only a couple of oaks and hickories. Black walnuts, carpathian walnuts, pecan and heartnut are close to setting nuts, but I don't expect the deer to eat the walnuts.
Soft mast: Orchard, mulberries and the locusts are creeping in.
Summer water: Installed one pond, one wetlands and have a small stream running through the bottom. The stream dries up during August (usually).
Salt: The horses share what the rain washes off their mineral blocks.
grin.gif

Most of the improvements were not strictly focused on deer, but were for the benefit of a variety of wildlife.

I have one spot I'm planning on putting cedars into, maybe next spring. I've given up on planting other trees purchased from the DNR.
frown.gif

Well, I cant manage up to some of you i am sure.
I just planted 1300 oaks 1200 ash and 400 conifers, So maybe in 30 yrs I will have something,

Water: I have 3 ponds
Refuge: My property boarders a state wildlife refuge
grin.gif

Green forage: 200 acres of hay ground and some ag land
Escape Cover: Creek down the side.

Refuge - there are a couple of areas on mine that are relatively untouched year round and for sure no traffic from about August 1 to January or so.

Escape cover - I have some, but more would be good.

Bedding cover - Same as Ghost, "The ridges dropping off into the creek bottom make great bedding sites. I plan to make these areas a bit more "brushy"." I also plan on converting over big chunks of worthless brome to switch grass.

Thermal cover - I have about a 3 acre patch of cedars. Also, there is an old abandoned barn with some hay in it and I have chased deer out of that several times, summer and winter.

Winter browse - an area that I have improved somewhat, but more would be good.

Green browse - same answer as above.

Green forage - I have about 4-5 acres of clover coming on now and about 4-5 acres of recently bull dozed ground that will be turned to clover. Some of this is very secure, "in timber" type of plots. These will be hot!

Hard mast - I have decent numbers of acorn producing oaks and I am slowly knocking down the fairly prominent shagbarks to release the oaks even more.

Soft mast - I have essentially no soft mast at this time, save a couple of locusts. I have planted about 16 persimmons, but didn't enough brains to fence them off and I now have 0! I will be adding some apples, etc, starting this fall and I already have the fence ready to go.

Summer water - I have an established pond and a forked creek that even when it is really dry has some pockets. I just had a new pond built last week and when we get some rain that baby will be a hot spot.

Salt - I always have 2-3 Vita-Rack sites going and they are getting a lot of attention right now.

This is an ongoing project for me and I will probably never be finished, but I sure enjoy the progress thus far. There's nothing like running a chain saw on your hunting ground!

Same for me as most already posted. I have everything but not all on the same property. I guess the main place though is getting close.
Refuge - Not a large enough area but 4-5 acres I rarely enter.

Escape cover - Lots of fingers and brush, some mess from TSI project.

Bedding cover - Prairie has quite a bit of tall grasses and edges around plots are pretty thick

Thermal cover - I have a couple acres with larger cedars, some cat-tails, and tall warm season grasses.

Winter browse - I keep pecking away at trees in a never ending timber improvement so this generates alot of browse.

Green browse - About the same as winter browse.

Green forage - Keep almost always 5-6 acres in annual forages and convert them after a year to clover or sow collected warm season seeds over them.

Hard mast - Quite a bit of young to mature oak scattered around. TSI helped production over last 5 years.

Soft mast - Some natives, some locust, invested in 10 pretty nice apple trees last year.

Summer water - One pond, one "dry" pond, some drainages, and a creek that has at least pockets of water all year.

Salt - Just started mineral hole this year. Had a salt block out once just to watch for sign- didn't have trail cam yet.

What I don't have is enough time!

I am sitting about the same as most everyone else I guess.

Refuge- Hard to do with only 25-30 acres in timber. I am extremely careful when hunting it and avoid ever setting foot in any of it without a purpose.

Escape cover- I have some small areas that you could barely get through if you tried, just wish they were larger. Sowed 14 acres of tall NWSG this spring.

Bedding cover- On a property this small the whole thing becomes a bedding area, makes it hard to hunt carefully.

Thermal cover- A rare thing in this area. I do have some cedar/pine plantings that will help in 20 yrs.

Winter browse- Plenty in the timber, and the deer seem to fatten up on my young riparian buffer every winter.
mad.gif

Green browse- This I have plenty of, mulberries everywhere. They hammer the dogwoods summer and winter.

Green forage- I have a tiny clover plot in the timber that gets alot of use and just put in another 1/2 acre clover plot this spring. Planted a 1 acre corn plot also and the neighbors crops help here too.

Hard Mast- Plenty of white oaks, short on reds. Started working on the shagbarks this Feb to release the oaks and create browse and bedding areas.

Soft mast- Planted 5 apple trees, 4 for deer and 1 for me, but they will get to them all I'm sure. Always looking for cheap apple trees.

Summer water- I have two creeks that run most of the summer but usually dry up in a dry fall. I would like to add a small pond or other reliable water source. I've been thinking of burying a large stock tank under a field tile outlet or run-off catching device as a cheap alternative.

Salt- Got my cam on a lick right now!

My property is fairly small, about 60 acres, but I have a blast piddling around with all this stuff. I feel lucky to have what I do, but of course I wish I had a 1000 acres, it would allow a lot more possibilites.

Top Bottom