Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Handgun quesition

J

jbutenhoff

I am looking into hunting next season with a handgun. I have a quick question in regards to the regulations on handgun size. Does the .357 or larger refer to the power of the round, or the physical size of the bullet? The reason I ask is that I have seen several handguns in sizes in the .30 centerfire rifle size.

Thanks!

Jamie

The .357 is the bullet diameter and it must be a straight walled case. You can not use bottled neck cartridges from a rifle in a handgun. Rounds like the .30 Herrett, .30-30 Winchester, .30 Carbine, .32-20 Winchester, or .38 Special are not legal to use in Iowa. Rounds like the .357 mag, .44 mag, .45 long colt, .454 Casull, for example are legal in the state of Iowa.

...read the regulations carefully, must have at least a 6" barrel....this effectively took most of the semi-autos out of the running except for the Desert Eagle and a few specialty types.

Thanks for the clarification on the ammo size.

I just checked the DNR page and there is says the minimum length is 4 inches, did they change this?

Jamie

...your right, it does say 4".....I'm pretty sure the first year handguns were legal to use it was 6". There were concerns when the rules were drafted that some would try using .40 S&W, .38, .45 ACP, and snubbies....ballistics for some of these rounds are marginal for deer. Thinking at that time was that most of these rounds met the diameter requirement but didn't have the power of a .357 mag....therefore, by adding a barrel length requirement it would keep the under powered rounds from being used. Some of the other States I hunt use an energy power factor requirement to weed out the marginal calibers. Would like to hear some other thoughts on this....I think the 4" is a change from what it was originally.

Rembrandt,
Is a 10mm legal in Iowa??????? I would have to mod my delta but just curious if the round is large enough. The 10mm's casing is wider then a .357 but a tad shorter in length. Is it legal?
BT

According to the DNR's pamphlet, your 10mm is legal. 10mm diameter is .400, since the barrel length is 4", you should be able to use your Delta for deer. My 10mm Omega has a 6" barrel and has been used on Antelope. The 10mm is a pretty hot round compared to the 40S&W, ballistics are favorable for deer....but bigger is always better. Never forget what the great African Hunter Robert Ruark wrote...."Use enough Gun!"

They really need to rework this law! According to the regulations then my 9x18 Makarov would be fine if I had a threaded barrel to meet the 4" min! The round is actually 9.2mm. I would be afraid that if I shot a deer with it the deer would get pissed off at me and charge!

Anyone out there bag a deer with a 10mm or 45acp? I would think that both of them would pack more punch than a .44 black powder handgun.

Jamie

This was taken from the DNR web site....

Handguns - Certain centerfire handguns and blackpowder handguns will be a legal method of take only during the regular gun, late muzzleloader and bonus season. Centerfire handguns, .357 caliber or larger, shooting straight wall ammunition propelling an expanding-type bullet (no full metal jacket) will be legal. Blackpowder handguns shooting a single projectile, .44 caliber or larger, will also be legal. There can be no shoulder stock or long barrel modifications to the handguns. The minimum barrel length is four inches for pistols, revolvers, and blackpowder handguns. Persons 16 years of age or less may not hunt deer with a handgun. Persons 17 through 20 years of age must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or spouse who is at least 21 years old. A person lawfully engaged in handgun hunting does not need a concealed weapons permit while they are hunting.

Transporting Handguns. Be sure to comply with the regulations regarding the transporting of handguns in motor vehicles. An unloaded handgun may be transported in a closed and fastened container or securely wrapped package which is too large to be concealed on your person, or which is not readily accessible by any passenger in the vehicle.

I'll do some checking and see if I've got an old copy of the regulations, think it use to be 6"....

Rembrandt,
Thanks for the info. Now if I could only get my rounds to load. I'm having problems with the gun feeding the ammo. Imagine that!
BT

Big Timber, if you're having trouble with ammo feeding....might try some different types of ammo. The best 10mm hunting round I've found is made by Hornady. Here's a link to help......(see "Custom" Pistol Ammo)
http://www.hornady.com/

[This message has been edited by Rembrandt (edited 03-12-2002).]

Arrowflinger, the 45-70 would probably be considered a straight walled case. But if you are shooting that from a handgun, I want to watch.

...at the range one day when a fellow came in with a 45-70 Contender, got a chance to shoot it....WOW!

I currenty shot a contender with a 44 mag and have seen contender barrels in 45-70 thats why i asked. My friend has one an it is really quite fun to shot!

i have a friend that shoots a encore chambered in 45-70. He uses it during the late muzzleloader season. The only way he could stand to shoot it is that he had the barrel ported, now he says it's too loud.
smile.gif
but he does enjoy shooting it. He okayed it with our local CO and he said it was ok to use. But i think i would check with local CO before using. Because it is not actually straight walled, very slight tapper. I think it may depend on the CO's interpretation of the law.

Top Bottom