Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Has anyone...

Fishbonker

Life Member
...ever gotten a deer while on they way to your stand? Chevy, Ford and Dodge don't count. I wonder if I'm wasteing my time trying to be ready to jump deer on the way in. I figure if nobody or at best very few of you have arrowed one on the way in then I could leave my hands free to carry a duffle with clothes now that I'm gonna have a climber strapped to my back.

The 'Bonker

I've taken one moving between stands one fall midmorning during the rut. That was a year and a half old buck.

I also that same year came across a wall hanger on my way in to a morning stand, I was within 20 yds of him but it was too dark to get a shot.

It can happen, in five years I've basically come across, both the same season.

Jason

Just filled the antlerless tag this past weekend when walking out. Jumped a group of three and they circled down wind, but the wind must have been swirling down the hill and they thought someone was on the other side of them. They came right at me. It was definately just dumb luck, but I'll take it anyway I can get it!
tongue.gif

I came darn close a couple of times.I always go to my tree looking.I did get a spike when I was scouting .I dressed as if I was hunting,It was windy and sleeting periodicly.I jumped him from his bed.As he ran I ran at him and when he slowed up I stopped.At this time he was about 40yards.He started to eat.I slowly took a step every chance I could.He started to move crossways on me and then almost at me and then quartered away.I stuck him with my old recurve at 20 yards and it was 12:30 in the afternoon.I think it took about 20 mins.to move on him and 10 heart attacks.So,you never know????

I've taken a doe at 15 yards with a bow on the way to a stand in the afternoon. I still have nightmares of the time I decided not to take my bow with me on a drive due to thick cover, big mistake, I jumped a 120 class 8 pointer in late december and could only stand there and watch him snort at me from 15 yards away!! Take the bow always and be ready because you never know...
In fact just the last week my brother (who drew a Iowa tag) had 3 small bucks come in when he was banging a tree with a pole trimmer clearing shooting lanes!! Stranger things have happened!!

Funny this topic came up. Wedsnesday night I was walking back to the house from hunting and came out of the timber only to find a 135 in 8 pointer standing there. He couldn't see me but I could see his sillouette. He started walking to me and of course I couldn't see my pins. I decided I would let him walkto me as close as he would get . He stopped at 10 yds as I drew back. Stood there I couldn't hold the bow back anymore so I let it back down. All he did was turn around and walk back the way he came he never knew I was there that is the second time it has happened to me hunting really cool.

Had an interesting thing happen to me about 20 years ago. Sprayed fox urine on the bottom of my boots, then walked through a fresh snow towards my stand about 1/4 mile. When I turned off the trail to go to the stand, I heard something and looked back. Here comes a thick-necked 8-pointer trailing me with his nose to the ground. I ducked behind a bush and drew my bow. When the buck got to the place I had turned off the trail, he stopped short and looked right at me but the arrow was already on its way. Smack. Love those blood trails in fresh snow.

I know you said chevys don't count, but I could not resist.
About 7 years ago, I made the two hour drive to get to the farm by 4:30 am.
About 5 miles from the farm a smallish buck and I had an unfortunate meeting, and my car limped to the farm and died in the driveway. (the car was lucky; although it needed to be towed, it would drive again...while the buck did not.)
The next evening, I was on the way home in the rental car (an old caddy with 100K miles on it; all the rental cars within 50 miles were taken due to deer-car accidents) and it was raining.
A big racked buck appeared and bounced its rack off the winshield right in front of my face.
This time the car received only minor damage, as apparently did the buck.
2 days, 2 deer, 2 cars. Gonna be hard to top!

You definitely need to be ready on your way in. Two years ago I took the long route into a stand due to the wind direction and when I finally got within 40 yards of my stand I was thinking only of getting up the tree and hunting. Imagine my surprise when a nice little 8-point stood up next to my tree. All I could do was watch him as he tried to figure out what I was. Now I'm always ready to pull back on one. Maggs.

I could have taken a doe coming out of my stand, it was so curious to what i was that it walked up to about 15 yards from me, not spooked or anythign put really curious, then walked past me and ran a little ways, i looked back to see where he was and i didnt move much at all, not before long he walked back up to me about 15 yards, then ran right into the woods, too small to take though

i have taken 1 deer on the way in and one while looking for a buck that a freind had hit. the last one i was talking about was at 10 yds in a pouring rain,was a big doe. she walked right up to me ,never smelled me at all. the other one i shot walking in . i was walking around the end of a unpicked cornfield and the little buck came out of the corn at 15 yds. i was ready to shoot becuz i heard him in the corn.hit him right in the chest . and he flipped over on his back and died right there. what a mess to clean. the arrow was stuck in his inside back leg still in side the deer

Top Bottom