Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Headed to Rathbun... need a little help.

singlecoyote

Proud member of the IBA
Anyone interested in giving some tips, tactics, advice for a first-time Rathbun Walleye trip this coming weekend? Any help would be great. Any locations would be nice as well. PM me if you want. Thanks!

Single Yote-

I am by far no means an expert walleye angler nor do I fish for them as much as some of the others here. I have fished Rathbun 2 years now about this time and unable to go this year. I will warn you and say that the information is probably going to go against everything you have thought or done to catch walleye this time of year. It all started off 3 years ago when we were fishing this time of year at Rathbun. We were targeting roadbeds deep water structure flats and drop offs, to prevail no fish. Came back to the ramp to find the "locals" with buckets full. Mind you its 95 Degrees this day. SO it was clear to us that we were doing something wrong. One old guy who has fished the lake forever told us something that had us rolling in disbelief. He said the best time for them was between 10AM and 2 PM. And it gets better yet he said they catch them between 2 and 5 feet of water. Now i of course didn't believe this so we went back to our tents to find several other fisherman arriving also. They told us the exact same thing. Everybody was pitching Lindy rigs and leeches up in the shallows and reeling them back. They were bringing upwards of 5-6 pounders doing this. Then i knew what we were gonna do the next morning. I will tell you that we docked at the southeast corner and caught all of our limits the next day on this technique 2 years in a row every day we fished about this time of year. We targeted the areas on the south side of the lake if you can find a map between "Rolling Cove" and "Island View". However I do not know what the water or effects of floods have put the lake at for water levels. If no success try this Find someone with the Appanoose County plates and ask them whats going on. If they dont tell you what they are catching them on.... Well Bring a good pair of Binos /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif.. More than likley they will fill ya in. Or just do what everyone else is doing if it looks like they are walleye fishing. If there are a hundred boats pounding the shoreline on the wind blown side then you know what to do! Dont know if this will help but thats all I know in my trips to the "Bun" which has proven successfull for me X3. Good luck and take pics

You may call the marina. They were pulling boats out last week due to high waters from all the rain down there. More storms this week so the lake may be very high and hard to find spots to put in at.

Very good advice from SHock. Fish them like bass. Pitchig jigs to shallow windswept points has won a lot of walleye tournaments at Ratbun. If you find some brush in the water, so much the better. Let us know how you do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fatboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may call the marina. They were pulling boats out last week due to high waters from all the rain down there. More storms this week so the lake may be very high and hard to find spots to put in at. </div></div>

The lake is really high right now. It is a foot below their emergency spillway which is just insanely high for Rathbun. I'm sure you will be able to get your boat in, but the waters are going to be very different from their norm.

That being said, I'm not much of a fisherman so I don't know what this means for the fishing... all I know is you won't have trouble finding water /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom