Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Help!! Buck hit need advice!!!!

S

Slim

I shot a real nice 10 pointer at 8 this morning. I backed out and came home to let him lay up. The shot was high coming down at a 45 degree angle behind his right shoulder. I went back out at 10 to start tracking him. I found blood bright red no bubbles. found 3 spots where he layed up. I found my arrow I would estimate it broke off leaving about six inches in him.

Here's the bad part I kicked him up when I was tracking him. I backed off right away. What should I do wait till tonight and go back out? I could use some good advice. I would think with the shot I hit a least one lung. Help me out guys!!

Slim
confused_em8.gif

You've probably made your decision by now- when to look for him. Hopefully you're waiting until morning. I agree w/the previous post, the last thing you want to do is push him and lose the blood trail. Your chances of finding him are much better if you wait. If the hit was good he will bed nearby. Good Luck

TB

Slim,
Back out and let him lay up until tomarrow morning!I lost a huge buck last year almost the same way,I waited 3 hour's after the shot and when I went in to start tracking I kicked him up.I should have backed out right away but I did not
cussing.gif
.The blood on my deer was also really red,I hit him to far forward.I found out later that year that the landowner next door found a buck real similar to the one I lost laying within a couple hundred yard's of where I lost mine.
Just back out and let him lay down and finish up,if he doe's not die by tomarrow you are probably not going to find him anyway,he'll probably survive the hit.I think the weather is suppose to stay dry through tomarrow so you should not have to worry about that.
Good luck and let us know if ya find him.

slim - if you nicked a lung he is done for - if you hit the dreaded void it could get tough - go back at 2 and see if you can find more blood where you last saw him - if you kick him up back off and hunt the area -portable stand- until dark and see if he gets up and moves around - morning could be your best chance

corndog

Well I am glad to say this morning we found him piled up in the corn next to where we kicked him up. The yotes had a nice meal last night so no meat for me! Sure will be a nice mount though!! I'll post some pictures! Thanks for the advice guys.
rockband.gif

Top Bottom