Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

help quick!!!

E

entbird

I hit a buck tonight and I need some advice. The buck was walking past my stand chasing some does. He was not running, but walking. I voice grunted and he did not stop. So I put the pin on his shoulder and let it go. I ended up hitting the deer a little back, possibly a gut shot. The deer turned and ran 75 yards or so and bedded down in the CRP field. I stayed in my stand until almost dark, and could still see that he was not dead as he was moving his head around. Please let me know what is the proper procedure on a possible gut shot deer? SInce I saw him bed sown should I just leave him until morning, or how long before I go and look for him? I shot it at about 5 approximatley 1 hour ago. Please help me, I can't believe I made that crappy of a shot!!! HELP!!!!

I'd wait till morning. No sense in trying to gut him out in the dark anyway. Get up at 6 and start trailing him. If you didn't spook him getting out of your stand, chances are you'll find him in his same bedding spot.
CRITRGITR

Bad shots happen chief,
Its part of bowhunting. The best thing you can do is leave the deer for I'd say about 3-4 hours. Leaving the deer till morning is an option, but I know the coyotes in my area would leave you with a hide and bones. Just don't push the deer. Hope this helps.

BT

Sound like gut or liver shot.If he laid down right away,that is good.Its cold enough The meat will still be good in the morning.Chin up there are a lot worst shots than that.I would say he will be or close to where he bedded.I would put hard earned dollars on it.Let us know what happends.

Like BT said, bad shots happen. What's important is what you do now. I would definitely wait until morning, I've seen more bucks lost because of being tracked too soon then waiting too long, unfortunately a buddy of mine lost a nice buck last year by going after him too soon. For him to bed down so soon he must of been hurting. Sounds like it might be a liver hit, but just in case I'd wait until first light to go after him. This is a tough decision for you...hope you find him. Keep us posted.

Here is a good link on blood trails:
http://www.edershunting.com/publication/2000/August/AfterShot/default.cfm

Good Luck
TB

In a conversation with a freind I had earlier this week we were talking this very thing. He said he had read an article in Iowa Game and Fish by Bill Winkie who had written 15 hrs minimum on a gut shot. I hope this may help. Good Luck.

Allamakee Grand Slam

If you wait until morning I would say you have a great chance of finding him. If you go sooner and jump him I'd say you have a great chance of not finding him. Good Luck.

Another vote for leaving him sit till daybreak. If you got the liver I am sure he is already dead. But if not it will take time. The coyotes could ruin it for you either way, but if he is just gut shot and you jump him sohe runs most likely there will not be enough blood to follow him then the search gets tough. If per chance he is not where you left him in the morning and there is no blood trail. Circle around the area downwind about where you stuck him. Deer often come back to see if they can figure out what it was that injured them.

Good Luck
IaCraig

I hope you are still reading these and taking advice. I'd wait until mornig and you should find him.The fact that he laid up so quickly leads me to think it was a liver hit too.I'd wait till moring and hes probaly real close. I'd be a little concerned about coyotes where I live but you didnt say where you were so....when in doubt ......wait. Let us know what happens.Please

how long did you watch him in the field? if it was over 15 minutes chances are you didn't hit liver and probably got some stomach. don't worry, sounds like he's going to be dead since he bedded down so quickly. i'd give him at least 5 hours or so. last year i shot one in the stomach, i gave him 4-5 hours and found him in his first bed, just over a small rise, within 100 yards of my stand.

What did the blood look like?what kind of hair was there? did he hump up? I would say liver but still WAIT

I vote for leaving until morning. Hopefully not but however if you can not find him in his first bed and tracking fails you might want consider looking towards sources of water. A dog can also be a help.

Make sure to post some pictures of him! It's the next best to being in Iowa hunting
smile.gif
, and will have to do (for now).

I realize this is most likely too late since you are already out there and will probably find him in his bed unless coyotes or something else jumps him.

On a possible gut hit I wait at least 8 hours. With a gut or other digestive system hit the contents come in contact with the body cavity and infection sets in. I've had it happen twice. Both times I've recovered the deer.

On the other hand a gut shot deer when pushed can travel great distances while leaving a poor trail. It is best to error on waiting too long.

Before going in I would climb back in the tree stand and try glassing the spot. If I couldn't see him laying dead I would then carefully stalk the spot. If he is there and not yet dead he should be very sick and present another shot.

Good luck and let us know how this turns out.

Old Buck

Top Bottom