Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HELP!

blake

Life Member
The next couple of months will likely shape the future of deer hunting in the State of Iowa for many years to come. As many of you are aware there are some organizations and companies out there that are trying to make some changes that will adversely effect your deer hunting and hunting in Iowa in general.

These organizations have lobbied our state reps to introduce bills for study and to eventually be voted on by our legislators. We all need to stay informed about the bills that are introduced for consideration to out state representatives?

I urge all of you IBA & iowawhitetail.com members to become proactive and be politically involved. I know it takes up some of your time, but please contact your state representatives. They must hear from you if we are to continue to enjoy hunting in Iowa as we know it.

I have never before written to politicians, I figured they would never listen to me anyway. However, I spoke with a friend who works for a PAC and he told me that “you’d be surprised” how much influence a single letter can have. Many politians don't really understand the affects on the "other side", only what the writers and supporters tell them. He told me to make it personal (this is how it will affect me), give reasons why and give a solution if possible. I have now written four letters and have all my reps contact info on my desktop. I will continue to write letters.

You are doing the right thing, politicians listen to voters! Always be polite, and contact them, we can make a difference!

Thanks for sharing your views with them.

I must say, the number of guys that are willing to contact thier state reps to protect our hunting in Iowa is pretty pathetic.

Guys we all have to get involved, if we don’t you will lose!

I sent a somewhat generic (I didn't address bill numbers) email to my legislators telling them that I thought the current system was working and commented that I thought they would be seeing a flurry of bills calling for more deer licenses. I mentioned I didn't think there is a over population problem in the areas I hunt and the areas where there are too many deer, it is most likely an access issue rather than a license issue. I encouraged them to look at every bill and try to see things from the average Iowa hunters view.

I got a reply from one asking what I thought of HF 117. :)

I thanked him for asking and typed in a long explanation of my feelings in regards to HF 117. Here is his response: "Thanks for your opinion. My initial reaction was to oppose the bill. You are the fifth person to reinforce that opposition."

My thanks also go out to the other 4 people, whoever they are!

Get to typing guys.

Top Bottom