Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hevi Shot magnum blend

KnuckleDragr

Anybody used this yet? Likes? Dislikes? I have always used lead shot in my mossberg 835 12 ga. Gun drops turkeys in their tracks every time with 3 1/2 inch Winchester #5's (closest shot being 10 yds. furthest 45yds). Dont see any reason to switch, but this new shot looks pretty neat. Also would I need a special choke for this shot? The one I use now is just the factory accu- choke turkey. Any thoughts?

Hevi shot is the best stuff in the world for turkeys. I have shot a lot of birds with regular loads and this stuff is flat out wicked compared to regular lead. It out penetrates anything I have used. I am sure I will get blasted for this but I have killed 3 between 63-67 yards that didn't even flinch. It is unreal. I use a HS undertaker choke out of my 3.5inch 870. Pattern your gun, it will do work. I haven't gun hunted in awhile but I do miss swatting them with hevi shot. Might have to do that this year. I am sure there will be a bunch of naysayers but out of all my buddies that have tried hevi shot everyone has been very impressed.

I wouldn't think you would need to chage your choke tube, but you never know. I found different loads through different chokes act differently. I personally shoot a carlson XX Full with a Mossberg 935, with 3 1/2 Remington Nitro # 4's and can easily drop birds at 60 yds. If the wind is right, and with a steady rest I can shoot 85- 90 yds. It took me a while to find the right combo to be able to go that far out though. Its like finding the right black powder charge for a muzzy. That new Magnum blend sound like it might tempt me to try it though. A mix of 5's,6's, and 7's sounds absolutely lethal at any range.

And remember you drop 2 shot sizes to compare the energy of hevi shot to lead. So you really have the energy of a mix of 3s, 4s and 5s going downrange. I have never heard of 3 shot lead but you get the point.

And remember you drop 2 shot sizes to compare the energy of hevi shot to lead. So you really have the energy of a mix of 3s, 4s and 5s going downrange. I have never heard of 3 shot lead but you get the point.

Good point. The Nitro loads I shoot are #7 Hevi Shot. Dense patterns with lots of kill.

I love Hevi Shot for turkeys, and a LOT of it. Try the stuff Nitro Ray makes... http://www.nitrocompany.com/index.html

It will reach out & touch them DEAD!!!!

The magnum blend has been around for a few years now! It's great stuff and I have had great results with it. I shot the Nitro Co. ammo (straight 7's) for 3 years before this came out. I wanted to give it a try and I have been impressed. I shoot it through a Mossberg 835 with a Pure Gold .670 choke. Great combination and I would highly recommend a quality choke tube (Indian Creek, Pure Gold, Kicks) are a few of the better ones.

Try and you'll love it :way:

I used to use the high dollar Nitro brand hevi shot and it was awesome but it was also about $7.00 per shell. I switched to the hevi shot magnum blend and I feel the pattern is very comparable. the longest kill I had with it was 63 yards. The pattern at 40 yards is unreal.

I agree with everyone above. You can't beat the Hevi-shot. I started using it in 2002 when Remington made it and I also have some of the Remington Wingmaster HD #4s. Drops them like a ton of bricks and way better than standard lead. When I'm out of the WM HDs, I'll be getting the Hevi-shot brand. As far as chokes go, when I switched to the Hevi-shot, I read that you shouldn't shoot that through a standard (lead shot) choke tube because those powerful non-lead loads will tear it up. Hence, a hevi-shot (non-lead) choke tube is required. Back then, I bought the Cabela's Hevi-shot tube and love it. Patterns great and is priced right (budget at that time). There are several great non-lead (also non-steel) choke tubes. If I had to do it over again, I'd get the HS Undertaker. I'll be getting that in the ported version for my daughter when she's ready.

Make the switch, you won't regret it!

Last edited:
I am currently shooting an ulti-mag with a kicks choke and using win.3 1/2" 5's so if I wanted to try the hevi shot what would you recommend as far as shot size?

Last edited:
Top Bottom